Packaging powdered drink mixes

Posted by: Tango61

Packaging powdered drink mixes - 04/20/10 11:15 PM

I know you can buy single packets of Propel and various Lipton green teas for backpacking. My question is a little different than that.

I buy Gatorade in powdered form in the big, bulk cannister and use it up during the summer months while I'm working outside.
I also buy powdered Tang for use on our monthly campouts.

Has anyone used their vacuum sealer to package powdered drink mix? Quite often, the mix hardens up before I've used it all and I have to use a fork to scrape it out of the container and chop it up.
If I vacuum seal enough powder to mix up a couple of quarts, will it stay in its original consistency? Does this make sense what I'm try to say? smile

Anybody tried it?

Posted by: redroach

Re: Packaging powdered drink mixes - 04/27/10 11:05 AM

In the past I have purchased the small jewelery/bead type ziplocks. They come in different sizes and I put single servings of my powdered drink mixes in them. They still clumped up.

As with my meals I am about going to try some sort of paper packaging and just crush the mix back to powder before I use it.

TV
Posted by: phat

Re: Packaging powdered drink mixes - 04/27/10 12:50 PM

Chuck it into a Mason jar and seal it up to store it.

Then carry it in ziplocs on the trail.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Packaging powdered drink mixes - 04/27/10 02:06 PM

I agree with phat, except that I recommend pint Mason jars so that there's less chance for air with its attendant moisture to get in there. Do the repackaging while your kitchen is dry (no cooking or dishwashing going on).
Posted by: Kent W

Re: Packaging powdered drink mixes - 04/27/10 08:02 PM

Sounds Unanamous. I havent experience storage problems. However on recent smokeys trip I did pre package one quart Gatorade portions in small ziplocks. Things worked very well as did the Tang for my evening cocktail of Vodka and Tang! My leftovers stored at home are son consumed bye my Kids! God Bless Them!
Posted by: Tango61

Re: Packaging powdered drink mixes - 04/27/10 08:58 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I thought I had struck out on that one.

I'll try the mason jars since I have a few of those.

Of course, that humidity thing is going to be a problem here in Deep East Texas. smile

In reading on the internet, someone suggested using a baggie and a straw to suck out the air. I'll try that first since it's cheap!

I'll report back in a week or so.

Tango61
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Packaging powdered drink mixes - 04/28/10 12:17 AM

You can also get some of those little dessicant packets that come with lots of food and medical items.
Posted by: sarbar

Re: Packaging powdered drink mixes - 04/28/10 11:04 AM

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
You can also get some of those little dessicant packets that come with lots of food and medical items.

And they do work well for humidity, which is your issue.
Posted by: thecook

Re: Packaging powdered drink mixes - 04/28/10 11:21 PM

If you do try the vacuum sealer, consider putting in the powder and covering it with a small piece of paper towel before sealing to prevent the vacuum from sucking all that nice powder out of the bag.
Posted by: Fiddleback

Re: Packaging powdered drink mixes - 04/30/10 11:55 AM

Most of my childhood and backpacking was in MD/VA/WV. As an adult, I was a long time resident of San Antonio. I now live in the Missoula area were humidity in the teens or single-digits is common. Color me very, very happy. grin

So I don't have a storage problem but my approach to powdered drinks on the trail could help with your end results. I baggie package individual servings (or maybe two) of a mix of Carnation Essentials (nee Instant Breakfast), Nido, and instant coffee/expresso. To mix these ingredients and to avoid clumping when preparing the beverage, I use a sifter when packaging. It nicely mixes the stuff and on the trail and I get no clumps when adding the hot water...

FB

Posted by: billk

Re: Packaging powdered drink mixes - 05/09/10 01:32 AM

Once upon a time, I used a vacuum sealer to make cocoa packets(Nestle's Quik and powdered milk)and it worked fairly well.

I don't do it anymore, because although the cocoa was tastier, the packets were bigger than regular instant cocoa and it was more trouble than it was worth.
Posted by: 1sammy1

Re: Packaging powdered drink mixes - 05/27/10 05:36 PM

Gatorade now sells single servings called gatorade powder packs. I found them in a local grocery store. I'm not sure if WalMart has them yet.