sloppy joes

Posted by: Jake28

sloppy joes - 03/22/10 10:58 PM

just decided to try dehydrating some home made sloppy joes. ill throw it into a pita out on the trail, thought some people might find the idea interesting.

anyone ever tried it?
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: sloppy joes - 03/24/10 05:17 PM

Sounds yummy! I'd dehydrate the hamburger separately from the sauce, though. You need to get all possible fat out of the hamburger (cook, drain off the fat, rinse meat under hot water and drain thoroughly) or the result will turn rancid.
Posted by: inghamb87

Re: sloppy joes - 03/25/10 02:08 AM

hmmm never tried sloppy joes in a pita but definitely sounds like a grand idea...
Posted by: Haiwee

Re: sloppy joes - 03/30/10 10:26 AM

I've dehydrated ground beef with pasta sauce dozens of times, and never had the beef go rancid on short trips (less than a week). I imagine sloppy joe's wouldn't be a problem. Wonder why I never though of sloppy joe's before? Need to widen my horizons and use my imagination.
Posted by: Jake28

Re: sloppy joes - 03/30/10 02:06 PM

ya, i always think of things i wanna try but they seem fairly common. the best source is leftovers that may go bad soon.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: sloppy joes - 03/30/10 05:38 PM

Haiwee, for short trips or cool weather trips, fats turning rancid are probably not an issue. Long-term storage at home, though, should be in the freezer--especially if, like me, you're preparing foods in the winter for next summer's trips. At least some of my trips are back-to-back (if I'm going to drive a long distance), so the food for the second trip stays in the car (not a great place for food storage!) while I'm on the first trip.

With any meat, I try to get rid of as much fat anyway, both because of the saturated fat issue and because I have problems digesting most fats. If I want fat for extra calories (which, frankly, I don't need!), I'd rather add nuts or olive oil. I don't have problems digesting either of those.
Posted by: fx4hauler

Re: sloppy joes - 05/04/10 10:58 AM

You can buy the sloppy joes mix that comes in a packet rather than in a jar/can at any grocery store. Just add dehydrated tomado paste and meat and some water. I personally like the taste of the packets over the jars. Sloppy joe from a jar is a little sweete for my taste.
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: sloppy joes - 05/05/10 10:14 AM

OK-

That is one way. If one is going to dehydrate the tomato paste, though, why not season it to one's own taste and then dehydrate either the seasoned sauce or the whole sloppy Joe mixture?

CamperMom
Posted by: fx4hauler

Re: sloppy joes - 05/05/10 10:47 PM

I have never done it that way but I have dehydrated my wife's skitty sauce and it taste great.