Any vegetarians here?

Posted by: pdxsdo

Any vegetarians here? - 03/03/10 02:08 AM

Don't know if this is the right forum, I'm new here, but I was wondering if there were any vegetarians here, and if so, what you eat when you are out backpacking? Thanks.
Posted by: phat

Re: Any vegetarians here? - 03/03/10 08:35 AM

I'm not, but I have lots of acquaintances who are, so I frequently end up eating veggie anyway on a backpacking trip.

Most commercial manufactuerers of dehydrated bp food have a number of veggie offerings - some of them even don't suck. So I do use those. Lipton sidekicks, Ramen, are all good bets as well, particularly if you can find some dehydrated vegtables to add to them. I'm quite fond of kikkoman miso soup packets, which I often take as well. Oatmeal of course. And instant potatoes. If you eat fish you can take retort tuna packages.
pop tarts, etc. etc.

snacks: dehydrated fruit (mangoes, craisins, dates, etc.) rye crisps, pitas, peanut butter, smoked almonds, trail mix, a nice block of parmigiano reggio, cliff bars, snickers bars, etc. etc..

http://www.trailcooking.com/ for some hints on things to put together.

Posted by: CamperMom

Re: Any vegetarians here? - 03/03/10 10:19 AM

I'm not a vegetarian, but I do use some vegetarian-friendly foods while backpacking. One of the easiest items to find in the health-food section is dry TVP granules. They absorb some flavor from other ingredients in the recipe. Add TVP to nearly anything, from the Lipton Noodles that Phat mentioned to oatmeal. Other foods: nuts, dried fruit, etc. What Phat said!

CamperMom
Posted by: sarbar

Re: Any vegetarians here? - 03/03/10 10:34 AM

In many cases with the recipes I develop is that the only reason they are meat eater friendly is the process of adding in meat. In other words, meat is easy to leave out and or one can use TVP or beans instead smile

For commercial meals you can have good luck with Mary Jane meals and some Backpackers Pantry.
Posted by: pdxsdo

Re: Any vegetarians here? - 03/03/10 11:18 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions, I am checking out your website right now Sarbar, it looks great.
Posted by: skippy

Re: Any vegetarians here? - 03/05/10 03:40 AM

I like bacon. smile
Posted by: phat

Re: Any vegetarians here? - 03/06/10 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By skippy
I like bacon. smile

Well yes, so do I, and even though I will eat veggie food with my veggie friends I do like to remind them:

Posted by: chndlr04

Re: Any vegetarians here? - 03/06/10 12:10 PM

im not a vegetatian but when im on the trail i dont have any meats except for bacon. potatoes with sour cream and bacon, eggs with cheese, potatoes and peas, pea soup(thick), broccoli soup(thick), an occasional cornbread, beans and so on.all the things i eat except for the potato flakes i make\dehydrate at home and i use a jet boil pcs and occasionally the group system.
Posted by: bigfoot2

Re: Any vegetarians here? - 03/08/10 03:59 PM

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures...between the veggies and potatoes, that is grin

BF cool
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Any vegetarians here? - 03/08/10 07:02 PM

If you don't eat animals, then you eat their food. Do you know how many rabbits, birds and mice are killed cutting a field of grain? Thats why I eat mice... goodjob