Dehydrating Food.

Posted by: MrPhotographer06

Dehydrating Food. - 01/05/10 04:04 PM

For this weekends expedition, i want to try alot of backpacking things. My moms making chili tonight, so i'm going to dehydrate some. Does anyone know how long to dehydrate chili?

I know that i wont have that much time to do alot of cooking, but i figured if i come up with something to try for every meal, i'll be able to try a few things. i've already got my food packed tentively. i've got couple cans of potted meat [i love it for some reason] couple packs of instant oatmeal and a couple of granola bars. this will get me basically a day, and its all packed in my Quick 1 cook set.

If yal have any easy cooking ideas right off, let me know. i've got my most of my ideas i wanna try from trailcooking. Thanks
Posted by: Franco

Re: Dehydrating Food. - 01/05/10 04:41 PM

The easiest way to get a hot evening meal is to start with a base ( ramen/cous cous/instant rice,instant potatoes) add your protein ( tuna in foil packs, chopped cabanossi or similar, dried mince/cubed meat) and some dried veggies, cheap at your supermarket (peas,corn,carrots,beans,mushrooms)
Add if you like olive oil, dried tomato powder, herbs and spices.
Other foods that are easy to mix and match are hard boiled eggs, hard cheese (will last up to a week not refrigerated) full cream milk powder, salami, Parma ham (my favourite...) beef/fish jerky.
Because dried veggies take a long time to cook (and give you wind if not properly cooked) a good trick is to put them inside a small container (any plastic jar that contained food, like peanut butter, will do ) at lunchtime with some water and by the time you stop for dinner they will be softer. A pinch of baking soda may help.
A good boost of calories is a hot cup of chocolate before you go to sleep. Use the full cream milk powder for that.
Franco

Re: Dehydrating Food. - 01/05/10 10:12 PM

i work in the grocery store, so i have access to everything i should need. so i do alot of thinking when i'm at work.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Dehydrating Food. - 01/05/10 11:39 PM

Have you checked out Sarbar's site, Trail cooking (formerly Freezer Bag Cooking)? Lots of ideas there for instant stuff from the supermarket.

For winter camping, you might want a heaver cozy for rehydration. While in summer you can use your knit hat, in winter you'll undoubtedly be wearing it!

Re: Dehydrating Food. - 01/06/10 10:37 AM

I've spent alot of time over there lately. i wont be going to the smokeys next weekend, so it'll be febuary before i go backpacking again, but i was told to prepare for 10 miles of hiking for saturday so i wanna be well fed.

I'll probally do some overnight camping between now and my next backpacking trip though
Posted by: sarbar

Re: Dehydrating Food. - 01/06/10 02:57 PM

On dehydrating the chili...expect at least 6 hours and up to 12. If you have parchment paper use it as a liner. That way when the chili is tacky dry you can flip it over to the other side. Dried faster and more evenly smile

And hey, I have friends who love potted meat...lol! Each to their own wink

Re: Dehydrating Food. - 01/06/10 07:11 PM

i love potted meat, and drink the juice in vienna cans.. i love it.
Posted by: Haiwee

Re: Dehydrating Food. - 01/11/10 05:02 PM

Vienna sausages are one of the four food groups, along with cheese whiz, mustard sardines and smoked oysters.
Posted by: thecook

Re: Dehydrating Food. - 01/12/10 05:42 PM

No, no, no, no, no! The four basic food groups are sugar, fat, chocolate, and alcohol (or caffene depending on how your day is going grin)
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Dehydrating Food. - 01/12/10 08:40 PM

Almost right. The four basic food groups are fat, sugar, salt, and alcohol. Chocolate is a vitamin.
Posted by: Dragon

Re: Dehydrating Food. - 01/23/10 02:52 PM

If you like meat, tuna or salmon in soft foil packages (instead of cans) works great. I think you can also get chicken that way.
Posted by: sarbar

Re: Dehydrating Food. - 01/23/10 06:15 PM

Minimus.biz carries the 3 ounce chicken pouches, which are quite hard to find otherwise smile
Posted by: Tango61

Re: Dehydrating Food. - 01/24/10 08:23 PM

Wow Sarbar! Thanks, that is one cool website.

Lots of good stuff we can put in our 'hurricane box'.