Israeli cous cous

Posted by: kevonionia

Israeli cous cous - 09/22/09 12:49 AM

Someone -- probably Sarbar -- can answer this question. I recently bought a prepared dish that was cous cous, butternut squash, currants and cranberries, a sort of autumn veggie mix. It was very good. The cous cous, though, was on steroids -- meaning it was like twice the size of regular cous cous. I liked it. It gave a totally different complexity to the food. I found out from the chef that they use Israeli cous cous as the pasta in that dish.

So the question is: Does Israeli cous cous cook the same as regular cous cous, or does it take longer, like rice? If it does cook as quick, it would be great as a trail grain.

I couldn't find "Israeli cous cous" in the store, although I found some larger "grained" cous cous labeled as such that probably is the same thing, and on the box the directions were not as simple and quick as regular cous cous to prepare.

Anyone familiar with or use it? If so, are you able to freezer-bag cook with it, meaning just add boiling water in the bag, let sit, and eat?
Posted by: sarbar

Re: Israeli cous cous - 09/22/09 10:19 AM

It does take longer cooking, but nothing horrid - like under 15 minutes - so basically the same time as quinoa.
I find it in packages at Trader Joe's for cheap and in the ethnic section (does your store sell kosher foods? Look there.)

It works well in soups also.

I haven't tried cooking and drying it. That would be fun!
Posted by: routerdoubter

Re: Israeli cous cous - 09/23/09 11:44 PM

I use Osem Israeli couscous. comes in an orange/yellow box. usually found in the kosher section as mentioned above.
Posted by: ConnieD

Re: Israeli cous cous - 09/24/09 01:44 PM

I saw Israeli cous cous in Whole Foods Market.