Dehydrated pork?

Posted by: johnq62

Dehydrated pork? - 05/29/09 02:48 PM

I'm about 2 hrs into smoking a 6# pork loin in my Brinkmann wet smoker.
While enjoying a cold beer, I was thinking has anyone ever dehydrate pork? I'm thinking pulled pork style....
They are on sale here and thinking of running back to Meijer and grab a couple more to freeze..
Posted by: hoz

Re: Dehydrated pork? - 05/30/09 06:33 AM

I've never done it, but I've seen dried pork in the Oriental food marts. It looks like shredded wood. I also haven't tried it but a Vietnamese friend says they use it in cooking and also eat it as it sprinkled over various dishes.

Just make sure to trim all the fat out before drying.
Posted by: Keith

Re: Dehydrated pork? - 05/30/09 11:41 AM

40 years ago or so you used to be able to get freeze-dried pork chops -- from Armour or somebody. They came in a tin and looked like perfect, balsa wood replicas of a real pork chop. There was some kind of seasoning packet that you mixed with the water to re-hydrate. They were quite good. Only time I used them was with my wife on honeymoon canoeing in Canada.

But what would be the difference between what you want to do and jerky? Same concept, I think. I'd go for it.
Posted by: Roocketman

Re: Dehydrated pork? - 06/01/09 08:17 AM

Originally Posted By Keith
40 years ago or so you used to be able to get freeze-dried pork chops -- from Armour or somebody. They came in a tin and looked like perfect, balsa wood replicas of a real pork chop. There was some kind of seasoning packet that you mixed with the water to re-hydrate. They were quite good.

Yes, I remember loving those, expensive as they were at the time.

Recently I saw a posting with a picture of a MRE item - Freeze Dried Pork Chop !!!

I may have to look around to see where I can buy them.

Re: Dehydrated pork? - 06/02/09 12:43 AM

Let me know if you find something.
--Keith
Posted by: aimless

Re: Dehydrated pork? - 06/02/09 01:06 PM

A Goofle search wink using the search term "freeze dried pork chops" showed several internet sources for them. The LDS church creates a nice stable niche market for such things and we backpackers can tag along for the ride.

Re: Dehydrated pork? - 06/02/09 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By aimless
A Goofle search wink using the search term "freeze dried pork chops" showed several internet sources for them. The LDS church creates a nice stable niche market for such things and we backpackers can tag along for the ride.

Yeah, these are the volume buy things that come in #10 cans. Not camping stuff -- at least not for small groups. The pork chops mentioned earlier were small tins containing 2 pork chops (IIRC, or maybe one chop per tin).
Posted by: Bob W.

Re: Dehydrated pork? - 06/03/09 09:21 PM

I have never dried pork...I read many years ago (wish I could quote the source) that pork has more inter-muscular fat than beef so it is more prone to turning rancid...fat will not completely cure.

Don't know if that was fact or opinion but it scared me enough to never want to try.
Posted by: Folkalist

Re: Dehydrated pork? - 06/06/09 09:22 AM

Oooh, I love pork. I'm very interested in what you learn. Meanwhile, I'm going to go thaw some pork chops . . .