Powdered milk

Posted by: GrumpyGord

Powdered milk - 04/30/09 08:25 AM

Is there something going on that I do not know about? I ran out of Carnation powdered milk the other night so I stopped at three grocery stores and all of them were out of Carnation. Just a blank shelf. Two of the three had a large supply of house brand in giant packages. I finally bought some Nido but I would prefer the Carnation because it mixes much easier. I use the milk mixed in instant breakfast, instant pudding etc.
Posted by: chaz

Re: Powdered milk - 04/30/09 12:24 PM

I bought Nido and thought it was rank. I'll try carnation next time.
Posted by: JAK

Re: Powdered milk - 05/02/09 12:42 PM

I've been making alot of chai lately, using skim milk powder. Sometimes it ends up really lumpy, or perhaps it is separating into curds and whey. Wondering if it has to do with adding the powder when the water is boiling. Not sure. Must experiment some more.
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: Powdered milk - 05/02/09 06:34 PM

JAK-

My experiences lead me to think that sometimes the milk "cooks" before it dissolves. One solution might be to stir in a small amount of cool/lukewarm water, let the milk dissolve, then add your boiling water.

Cheers!

CamperMom
Posted by: intrek38

Re: Powdered milk - 05/04/09 03:18 PM

Not to get of the subject, but has anyone here ever try Powdered Camel's milk???? google it
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: Powdered milk - 05/13/09 03:38 AM

Gord,

Not having any Carnation powdered milk on my store's shelves would not bother me a bit B/C I don't like its taste. It tastes nothing like fresh milk.

I now buy only "Milkman" powdered milk from REI. Now THAT'S a good powdered milk.

Eric
Posted by: Knaight

Re: Powdered milk - 05/13/09 07:07 AM

The only thing I use powdered milk for is my granola in the morning. I just bought a huge package of store-brand stuff and it does the trick for me. Does it take like fresh milk? No, not really, but when I've mixed in some cool water from a nearby stream, it still tastes pretty damn good. Combine that with granola, berries, and pecans, and you've got my favorite trail breakfast.

Posted by: sarbar

Re: Powdered milk - 05/13/09 09:16 AM

Milkman, if you can still find it....well, you should stock up. It has been out of production for some time now.
A few grocery stores still have the big master boxes (which was always cheaper than REI) of it. Again, if you see them, buy them up.