any chinese backpackers on here...check this out

Posted by: Bigdumplings

any chinese backpackers on here...check this out - 11/16/08 11:26 PM

Or non chinese backpackers for that fact, you might be interested in these.

i found instant rice porridge (congee, or jook) packets at my local asian markes, plus about every type of noodle i used to eat growing up.... Makes for a nostalgic, yet tasty alternative to the boring ole ramen found at the wallymart! I made the congee the other day and it rehydrated near perfect... havent gotten around to the other noodles i purchased, but they look promising (i only picked the ones with no msg and the lowest sodium possible)
Posted by: bmisf

Re: any chinese backpackers on here...check this out - 11/17/08 12:29 PM

I'd love instant congee...what brands, and do you know if they're also available online?
Posted by: AussieBushwalker

Re: any chinese backpackers on here...check this out - 11/17/08 01:16 PM

I would also like to know the brands as well so I can keep an eye out for them down here.

My wife is of Chinese heritage and makes jook from scratch in large pots at home. She might like the dehydrated version for our camping trips.

Cheers,
Michael.
Posted by: Bigdumplings

Re: any chinese backpackers on here...check this out - 11/17/08 02:44 PM

I think i kept the packaging...but if not i will grab some more at the store sometime this week and ill post some links to photos...they have like four or five flavors i believe...thus far the fish is the most authentic tasting one...i would really love if they had the preserved egg (thousand year old egg) flavor
Posted by: r-ice

Re: any chinese backpackers on here...check this o - 05/01/09 05:47 AM

it'll be great for breakfast if you can get some yow tew and Joung as well =]
Posted by: caddis

Re: any chinese backpackers on here...check this o - 05/20/09 06:14 PM

Asian stares have the best ramen-style noodes. I usually bring one that comes in the plastic bowl or cup (Both with plastic lids) and use the bowl/cup all week