Had to put her down

Posted by: finallyME

Had to put her down - 08/22/14 04:57 PM

The other day my dog was crying and crying and crying like she was in a lot of pain. Her stomach was also bloated. We took her to the vet and got the bad news that her stomach turned. It would take surgery, and the chances of that even working were very small. I opted to put her out of her pain. I didn't think I would get as emotional as I did. She will be missed.
Posted by: Goofytune

Re: Had to put her down - 08/22/14 06:42 PM

I am so very sorry to hear this. I'll pray that God get's you through the pain of your loss quickly.
Posted by: Pika

Re: Had to put her down - 08/22/14 07:16 PM

I've had several Malemutes; they are extraordinary dogs. I've had to have them put down for age related issues but never for a turned stomach. I'm not yet over the loss of any of them. I think I know how you feel. You have my deepest sympathy.
Posted by: bluefish

Re: Had to put her down - 08/22/14 10:52 PM

You have mine, too. You did the right thing, as painful as it was and will be.
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: Had to put her down - 08/23/14 12:19 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss, you made the right choice.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Had to put her down - 08/23/14 11:39 AM

It's always tough to lose a good friend and family member and dogs have always been a part of our family too.

I've never heard of a dog having a "turned stomach". It sounds similar to a when a horse "colics". I've dealt with that and it's pretty tough to watch them go through. As hard as I know it is, I'm sure you did the right and compassionate thing. My sympathies are with you too.
Posted by: PerryMK

Re: Had to put her down - 08/23/14 01:05 PM

I'm very sorry or your loss.
Posted by: NapalmMan67

Re: Had to put her down - 08/27/14 05:28 PM

Sorry for your loss. I never had a Malmute, but a couple years ago had to put down my Lab of 15yrs.

Now it's just my wifes fat cat. Siiiigh...

Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Had to put her down - 08/27/14 09:35 PM

Gastric torsion, every dog owner's nightmare. Surgery is often unsuccessful--the condition usually reoccurs. You made the right choice!

My heart goes out to you and yours! As Kipling put it, we give our hearts to a dog to tear. I know yours is torn now! I still mourn for Hysson, and it's been over a year.
Posted by: OttoStover

Re: Had to put her down - 08/28/14 05:43 AM

I also dread the day when I have to take that decision, my dog is now 11,5 years and have had some occasions where he just faints. We have decided to wait getting a new puppy until he is gone.
Even if the loss is great, I comfort myself with the fact that he has had many good years. Always playful, just mention the word tour, and he is at the door wagging the tail in anticipation. I am sure your dog too had a good life FM.