FYI; Dog goes lame while hiking

Posted by: mccallum

FYI; Dog goes lame while hiking - 07/12/12 04:46 PM

If your hiking with your pooch and the dog begins to limp; you find nothing wrong with the effected leg check neck and back for issues.

My Lab mix has been going lame (vet nor I could find an issue witht he leg) and then after rest (usually 24-48 hours) no problem. I would rest him for a few more days and we would walk; short distance no problem much over 4 miles the limp would return. Yesterday morning we made itless than a half mile and he was limping badly; returned home and headed for vet; I said "remember you said when he start limping again get him out here?" she said"Yes",took one look and said "He has a disk in his neck out of place." Lazar treatments for the next six days and rest for the next two to three weeks. The rest (no walking) will be harder on him. He likes to get out and about. SO; just for you edification!!!
Posted by: midnightsun03

Re: FYI; Dog goes lame while hiking - 07/18/12 09:20 AM

Interesting! The same thing happens in humans too... knee pain (and even joint popping) can be related to back muscles being too tight. Hadn't thought about that being the case for 4-legged hikers too.

MNS

Re: FYI; Dog goes lame while hiking - 07/21/12 06:11 PM

After a week of treatment he is doing well. He is running which he would not have done when I first took him to the vet. He is also jumping up on me (which he gets corrected for doing but) which he has not been doing for a period of time.
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: FYI; Dog goes lame while hiking - 07/24/12 02:38 PM

there are animal chiropractors in oregon. lasers cannot move a vetrebra or disk back into place. I rarely ever offer advice but if it were my dog I would demand a guarantee from the vet or take the dog to a chiropractor - dogs and humans are not that much anatomically different, even though a lot of people swear that humans are not animals at all. Count the bones and look at them - it only takes very small changes in bone shape and length to turn a dog skeleton into a human skeleton - try it with a T-Rex - and except for the bird hip bones - the skeleton can be reshaped into a human form. Chiropractors know how the bones are supposed to move and help that normal action.

Of course that same can be said for humans on pain pills and having fused spines that sould have gone to a chiropractor instead of a surgeoon. I do not know even one person who says that back surgery improved their situation. Whereas my chiro works on horses at a local equine hospital. He then uses lasers to stimulate muscles.

Just some thoughts from someone who's seen chiros for 45 years now.
Jim grin

Re: FYI; Dog goes lame while hiking - 08/02/12 02:00 PM

Jimshaw
Do not know how if works but Bear(my lab mix) is to his old self. I have looked on the net for the function of the treatment and it has to do with the swelling and the reduction thereof. cost was $120.00 but well worth it!
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: FYI; Dog goes lame while hiking - 08/02/12 08:03 PM

Glad your dog is feeling better!

Re: FYI; Dog goes lame while hiking - 08/04/12 04:33 PM

Well, Bear and I put the treatments to the test the last two days. We went camping; which also means he and I (and sometimes the rest of the human pack hike. Well, He and I did a lot of walking and we also did some log jumping. We were at Big Hill lake west of Parsons KS and hiked around part of the lake. There were a number of Deadfalls into the water so we had to go over (well I did) and Bear had to go over or under (some I know he could have gone under; yet) he chose over each time; he also did it with much more grace them I in most case!! I watch for the telltale signs of reinjury and I think 18 or so hours later; we are golden!!