My other Hiking Buddies...

Posted by: billstephenson

My other Hiking Buddies... - 12/09/11 10:26 PM

Thanks for the new forum Packlite!!

I'm excited about this new forum. My four legged hiking buddies include my two burros, Lewis & Clark, and my little aussie shepherd, Annie, and lately one of our many cats, who we've named "Hiker" since she insist on following me when I hike around our place.

I'll post some pics soon!, and hopefully, someday soon, I'll also post a trip report of my first real trip with the burros.
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: My other Hiking Buddies... - 12/10/11 10:07 AM

My current 4 legged hiking buddy is Tica as many of you already know. Here the little lunaTica is giving me a licking after an 8 hour drive to the lake and an additional wait for the ferry!

After a week out on trail she is much calmer. Here she is in heaven between 2 kids on the ferry ride back across the lake.

A couple of other random shots...

That's my addition to the new forum.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: My other Hiking Buddies... - 12/10/11 11:30 AM

She's beautiful!

My Hysson is in my avatar. That photo is from 2008 (taken at Marm's Lake in Wyoming's Wind Rivers), and he's gotten a lot grayer around the muzzle since then. He's not quite as lively, but at least 2 or 3 times a day he still thinks he's a pup!
Posted by: MPCWatkins

Re: My other Hiking Buddies... - 12/10/11 01:32 PM

This is Sadie. She's my older sister and her husband's dog, but she joins me every once in a while on some of the trips that I do. Always a joy to have her around! Wish I could have a dog for myself!

DSC00784 by MPCWatkins, on Flickr
Posted by: squark

Re: My other Hiking Buddies... - 12/11/11 12:11 AM

Thanks for the new sub-forum!

Here's my intrepid exploring companion, Allie:

2011-04-03-sunol 050 by sluj, on Flickr

2011-06-26-chabot 027 by sluj, on Flickr

2011-10-10-StanislausNF 356 by sluj, on Flickr

As you can see, she's an all-terrain machine.
Posted by: Allison

Re: My other Hiking Buddies... - 12/11/11 04:59 PM

Great pictures! I can't wait to be able to get a dog. I live in a condo now and don't feel like it would be the best place for a dog (for my situation). I'm currently reading Following Atticus by Tom Ryan. Great story for all you hikers/dog lovers! They also live in Newburyport, MA which is the town next to me.

Happy hiking!

Allison

http://4000-footers.blogspot.com/
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: My other Hiking Buddies... - 12/11/11 07:02 PM

Still waiting for Bill's photos of his burros and his hiking cat!

Does anyone here use pack goats?

While I don't think Franco hikes with his cat, the kitty turns up frequently in his photos and videos of tents. laugh
Posted by: finallyME

Re: My other Hiking Buddies... - 12/12/11 09:56 AM

I am excited about this new forum.

Here is Kaya.

I wanted a dog that could take the cold, pull a sled, and help me train for a marathon. We got her for free when she was 4 years old.

She loves hiking and loves the boy scouts. For some odd reason, she doesn't like large men. Any woman can approach her and she loves them, but she barks like crazy at large men.

When I take her hiking with the boy scouts, or my own kids, she will circle the group and make sure that she knows were everyone is.

She is such a little baby when it comes to water. If it is sprinkling outside, she cries like a baby. And, you would think I was beating her, when I try to pull her into a lake to get wet in the summer. Also, when I hose her down in the heat, she acts like it is the end of the world.
Posted by: Heather-ak

Re: My other Hiking Buddies... - 12/12/11 03:26 PM

I had a Malumute / GSD mix that was terrified of water. One very hot summer, I was not working and spent a ton of time at the gravel pit, often with other people/dogs from agility class. He would pase at the shoreline and finally gave it a try. LOVED it, would swim for hours. So there is hope!
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: My other Hiking Buddies... - 12/12/11 04:09 PM

That's too funny Heather. I've never heard of a dog doing that. Seems they either love from birth, or don't.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: My other Hiking Buddies... - 12/12/11 05:47 PM

Well, two summers ago I took the family to see my parents in Seattle. We were expecting the normal Seattle summer temps, but ended up with a week of over 100 weather. I had to bring the dog with us. A couple of days we spent down at the lake. You would think that a malamute would want to cool off in the lake when the temp is above 100. I would pull her up to her belly and she would pull back as hard as she could, and cry, cry, cry. Even when she saw all these other dogs (like labs etc.) who would be jumping in the water as much as possible, she wouldn't budge. She does like going in ankle deep though. She will go ankle deep in a freezing mountain stream. Of course, this last summer, I took my boys to the Uintas. We camped right next to river, for some fishing. My father-in-law caught a trout and we put it on a stringer. Then we had to tie it to a log and put it way out so she wouldn't go get it. In fact here is a picture of the log.

She had to get that fish so badly, that she ended up falling completely in. So, I guess if I had a fish, she would go in to get it. wink