gotta get a dog

Posted by: twinmike

gotta get a dog - 10/26/11 07:03 PM

good golly miss molly, this weekend it was 22 degrees in Flagstaff, north of Sunset Crater. four people, one had a dog about thirty pounds. That little dog kept him warm with just a regular type bag and a bivy. I gotta get a dog. The dog ate everything that wasn't tied down, now if we could only live on dog biscuits we have it made.
Posted by: ppine

Re: gotta get a dog - 10/27/11 12:59 PM

Twinmike,

I used to snow camp with a large furry border collie/ Aussie cross that liked to be close. She was really warm, but remember to provide insulation for your dog from the snow. It works well to zip them up in a parka or heavy fleece jacket. Usually they will still be in it in the morning.

My current border collie is 14 years old so I now zip her up even on summer trips.
Posted by: BZH

Re: gotta get a dog - 10/27/11 01:56 PM

I fondly remember winter camping as a kid with my cousin, my dad, and my dog. All three of would do everything we could to convince the dog to sleep in our sleeping bag. The dog wasn't stupid, she went in my cousins bag every-time because he was the biggest and produced the most body heat.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: gotta get a dog - 11/03/11 09:55 AM

I always bring a pad for my dog in the winter. But, she never sleeps on it. All she wants to do is get in under the tarp and lay in the snow. My sleeping bag is warm enough that I don't need her for warmth. And, since she pulls the sled with my stuff, I don't worry about how heavy the bag is.