Home Gardening Forum

Posted by: packlite

Home Gardening Forum - 05/07/11 01:47 PM

Welcome. As an avid gardener myself for past 40 years, I did not need my arm twisted to provide this little space for gardening discussion.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Home Gardening Forum - 05/07/11 11:00 PM

Cool!!!

Thanks Charles, I'll post some pics soon of what I have growing this year. If the sun keeps shining for a few more days here it might actually grow enough to see in a photo.
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Home Gardening Forum - 05/08/11 01:27 AM

We're finally geting some daffodils. And some weird things... smile
Jim
Posted by: packlite

Re: Home Gardening Forum - 05/08/11 11:14 AM

Originally Posted By billstephenson
Cool!!!
..... If the sun keeps shining for a few more days here it might actually grow enough to see in a photo.

I can relate. I was just looking at photos and writeup from my last year garden - hard to believe the difference. Weather's been terrible this year and still is cold and wet. Sunshine? Ha-ha.

I've been working based on forecasts of neglible rain. If I get two days of no rain, I'm plowing at the tail end of the second day. What's made it worse for me this year is that I put a layer of two-feet deep tree leaves on the garden last fall and now having to plow it under, all which tends to retain moisture.

But while most others in town are complaining of no garden, I'm getting there with persistance and hard work ( it helps to be retired smile ). Got potatoes in a week ago, sweet onions are up nicely and a huge garlic crop. Lettuce is starting to pop up and I planted yesterday a large block of beets and one of carrots. Got a new raspberry patch planted a week ago.

Tulips just now starting to open and daffadils. Strawberries are looking perky, but blueberries not yet budding. Tomatoes and peppers still in the cold frame.

I'll start a new thread with photos maybe this afternoon.

Posted by: skcreidc

Re: Home Gardening Forum - 05/08/11 01:17 PM

Absolutely not expecting this, but very pleasantly surprised. Thanks for starting this (sub) Forum.

Quote:
We're finally geting some daffodils. And some weird things... smile
Jim

Sigh...Jim. Your killing me here. There is this device called a "camera"....

I will post up our "native" front garden soon. The whole front is done in drought tolerant CA natives or native hybrids. Unfortunately by September the front looks, well, dead would describe it.

sK
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Home Gardening Forum - 05/10/11 05:53 AM

Jim, are the weird things legal?:) My daffodils are in full bloom finally here. Snow has even melted the piles where they plowed our road. May be less of a garden this year, should have planted peas a week ago, and this weekend I was off snow camping in Desolaton Wilderness with a couple other guys into Dicks Lake and Granite Lake for a couple nights.
Posted by: MI_BeerBelly

Re: Home Gardening Forum - 05/10/11 08:20 AM

Up here in Michigan the threat of Ol' Jack Frost looms over our heads. Mother's Day is supposed to be a good measure of when Mr. Frost will migrate north for the season... Who knows though.

We've got tomatoes started inside, and also plan to have pea's, green beans, carrots, potatoes, etc... This year, we're adding cucumber. My wife has this awesome cucumber dip goes well with everything...
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Home Gardening Forum - 05/11/11 08:55 PM

legality depends upon licensing :), but the wierd plants in the garden are just profuse. Most are not in bloom and I can't seem to post photos anymore since they changed something in flicr. There are at least 50 species of plants coming up we have no idea what most of them are as they are mostly about 6" tall so far.

So I've been "putting in rock garden". I mix about a ton of rock with a yard of top soil, spread thickly, then stomp down the dirt between the rocks to hold them steady, and water. This is a project done by the CUBIC YARD. Like putting in 2 yards of terraced garden in a day requires moving 7,000 pounds of material on a hand truck or in a wheel barrow. laugh

Jim
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Home Gardening Forum - 05/13/11 04:08 PM

Jim, when you are looking at your photo gallery in flikr, click on the photo you want to post. Then you have two options. One option is to right click and choose a size, I usually choose the largest medium size. After you have clicked on the size you want, it will take you to that size. Then right click on that image again and select, "copy image location". The other option is after you have clicked on the photo you want, there is a drop down menu at the top left of the picture. Select "view all sizes". It will usually default to the large size. You can choose another size if you want. When you have the size you want, then right click and select "copy image location". Then when you are writing a post, click on the "enter an image" icon and choose what type of floating image you want, then hit "Ctrl-V" to past the image location.

Hopefully that will help. I use flickr as well.