Recommended reading for Fishing Novice

Posted by: Matt Keenan

Recommended reading for Fishing Novice - 02/17/15 03:36 PM

Anybody have any good book recommendations for general fishing techniques and ideas. I have never really understood where and why fish like to hang out where they do. Cheers guys
Posted by: tramp

Re: Recommended reading for Fishing Novice - 02/17/15 04:42 PM

What type of fishing you planning on? Fly,Bait Spincasting????

Re: Recommended reading for Fishing Novice - 02/19/15 04:19 PM

I have a tenkara setup for fly fishing only have caught a handful of fish, but I think I would like to get more into spinners and lure fishing. Cheers Matt
Posted by: tramp

Re: Recommended reading for Fishing Novice - 02/19/15 06:37 PM

Can't say much about bait/spin casting 'cause I'm strictly a fly fisher. The fish hold where they hold 'cause they don't know fly from bait. You just need to make them want what you offer.

I wouldn't give up on the fly fishing just yet. Take a look at this first. And head out for a few hours and try again. If you seek trout they are a very skittish fish and spook easily. Your approach is everything. Do you just walk up o the water and begin casting? Try squatting or sitting high above the river and watching for 10-15 minutes. Then decide how to get the fly to them w/o spooking them. Like I said it takes practice.

Give it some time. Fishing is an acquired skill regardless of tackle and you must fish in order to learn how to fish. When I first started I paid a guide for half a day and it was money well spent. Consider that.

Re: Recommended reading for Fishing Novice - 02/24/15 03:21 PM

Awesome thanks Tramp, lots of good info and encouragement here I appreciate it. I really like the idea of fly fishing and whenever I had luck it always felt amazing. Trout is what I am seeking there is a river within biking distance of my house as well so I really have no excuse not to be out there at least every Saturday.I like the idea of a guided session, probably the best thing to get me practicing the right stuff constantly. Approaching is also something that I need to work on.
Happy Trails
Matt
Posted by: TomD

Re: Recommended reading for Fishing Novice - 03/22/15 01:15 AM

The Curtis Creek Manifesto by Sheridan Anderson is fun book about trout fishing that actually has some pretty good tips.
On the other hand, you won't learn a thing about fishing from Trout Fishing in America by Richard Brautigan, but your post reminded me of one of the iconic books of the 60's.

Posted by: jerseydevil

Re: Recommended reading for Fishing Novice - 10/27/16 07:25 PM

"Fishing Lessons" by Paul Quinnett. Also the author of "Pavlov's Trout" and "Darwin's Bass". Won't teach you how to catch more fish but will help to make you a better "fisherman". wink
Posted by: troutstalker

Re: Recommended reading for Fishing Novice - 06/03/18 02:03 PM

If you're fishing high lakes for trout, then get some Thomas Buyant spoons, Kastmasters, Roostertails and Panther Martin spinners. You'll catch trout on all of these. Good luck!
Posted by: BZH

Re: Recommended reading for Fishing Novice - 06/05/18 11:25 AM

What color Thomas Buoyant lures do you recommend? I'm usually fishing pretty high and need real small lures... how does a 1/6 Thomas Buoyant (smallest size) compare to a #0 Mepps or 1/32 Rooster Tail?