lively trout action

Posted by: ppine

lively trout action - 10/24/11 12:11 PM

Friends,

Just returned from Davis Lake, CA. It is not a backcountry lake but the fishing was grand. My brother and I caught 10 on thurs, and 21 on Fri. All were hard fighting rainbows in the 14-17" range. Flies like woolly buggers and J Fair wiggletails were working well trolled behind lead core line. The big fish 2-5 lb.s were being taken by fly fisherman in the grassy shallows on the west side of the lake. We are going back later this week. Two doubles on Fri.
Posted by: intrek38

Re: lively trout action - 10/24/11 07:14 PM

Got Pic's ?????
Posted by: ppine

Re: lively trout action - 10/25/11 03:30 PM

No pictures, sorry. Some trips are best without a camera. Will try a fly rod next time out to try to increase the size to over 20".
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: lively trout action - 11/15/11 05:11 PM

Yea, you gotta watch that intrek38 guy...he'll steal your golden trout photo's wink
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: lively trout action - 11/15/11 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By skcreidc
Yea, you gotta watch that intrek38 guy...he'll steal your golden trout photo's wink

Me too!

I've never even seen a Golden. I did fish a couple spots where they were supposed to hang out, but never saw one the entire time I lived in CA.

Re: lively trout action - 11/15/11 11:07 PM

Bill, you come out to California for a week some summer and I will make sure you get to see some golden trout. They are all above 10,000 feet elevation though...hard to hang a hammock sometimes. the one I showed the picture of was 11,000 feet. I got a few new hot tips from my biologist friends to check out as well...more rumors of 18 inchers.

They also have golden trout in the Winds........although I have yet to catch one. We could meet in the middle wink

Re: lively trout action - 11/16/11 06:50 PM

I really would love to do that. My wife has been bugging me for years to take her out there and it'd be a lot of fun to look up some old friends (and meet some new ones wink )

It's been a lot of decades since I've been 10,000 ft. I'm not sure I could even breath up there frown

But I'd love to do take a crack at some Goldens. It would be a long time coming to catch one of those smile

Re: lively trout action - 11/16/11 07:47 PM

Ah, I'm sure you will be fine as long as we take the time to get you acclimated. The key is having enough time. Just out of curiosity, have you ever had mountain sickness before?

Re: lively trout action - 11/16/11 11:00 PM

No, never experienced it. I didn't feel it a bit when I lived and played out there, but that was quite a few years ago now.

But even when I went to the Sequoias I never hiked above the tree line. I may have gotten close a few times, but I'm sure I was never above it. I'm really not sure what the highest I've ever been is. I know it's at least 9,000ft, but I can't say for sure if I've been much higher up than that. I may have been driving when I peaked out wink

Re: lively trout action - 11/17/11 09:08 AM

Sounds promising! grin To the next visit then. Give me a heads up and we can talk routes into those areas. It would be nice to finally meet someone on this forum someday.