Trout I caught this weekend

Posted by: jasonklass

Trout I caught this weekend - 05/10/10 09:13 AM

Big Thompson River, Rocky Mountain National Park.
Posted by: kevonionia

Re: Trout I caught this weekend - 05/11/10 01:33 AM

Jason:

Looks tasty and nice pix. Heard from a friend in Estes Park that (after such a great weekend) it was snowing there today (May 10.) shocked
Posted by: Kent W

Re: Trout I caught this weekend - 05/11/10 09:12 AM

Awsome! I slip a old tube sock over the rods and rubber band to protect them though. Is that a G4 kit pack? I am considering making one?
Posted by: ChrisFol

Re: Trout I caught this weekend - 05/11/10 01:11 PM

Great catch!

The headwaters of the Big Thompson are a beautiful stretch of water-- I need to get up there again this year.
Posted by: ChrisFol

Re: Trout I caught this weekend - 05/11/10 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By Kent W
Is that a G4 kit pack?

It looks like an MLD pack to me. Exodus or the Prophet would be my guess.
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Trout I caught this weekend - 05/11/10 11:34 PM

Jason needs a quiver not a rod tube... smile
Jim
Posted by: phat

Re: Trout I caught this weekend - 05/12/10 11:42 AM

Originally Posted By Jimshaw
Jim

Yeah Geez jason - how may Test reports on the rods for one cute little Brownie? smile

Re: Trout I caught this weekend - 05/16/10 11:18 AM

Originally Posted By ChrisFol
Originally Posted By Kent W
Is that a G4 kit pack?

It looks like an MLD pack to me. Exodus or the Prophet would be my guess.

It's an Exodus. You win!

Re: Trout I caught this weekend - 05/16/10 11:20 AM

Originally Posted By phat
Originally Posted By Jimshaw
Jim

Yeah Geez jason - how may Test reports on the rods for one cute little Brownie? smile

Ha ha. It's sick but my backpacking gear addiction has apparently carried over to Tenkara fishing.
Posted by: Samoset

Re: Trout I caught this weekend - 06/10/10 01:47 PM

yeah thats like a mortgage payment in tenkara smile
Beautifull fish though man.
happy stalking and good luck.

smile G i wish sombody would pay me in tenkara smile

Re: Trout I caught this weekend - 06/13/10 09:40 PM

LOL, me too. It's more useful than cash (IMHO).
Posted by: Paulo

Re: Trout I caught this weekend - 02/02/11 08:31 AM

Good looking fish.

I'd consider a fly rod like that, but most of the streams out my way are catch and release.

Re: Trout I caught this weekend - 02/08/11 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By Paulo
Good looking fish.

I'd consider a fly rod like that, but most of the streams out my way are catch and release.

not trying to be sarcastic or anything sorry if it comes of that way but im not adzactly shure what rodtype you ues has any thing to do with releasing a fish if you dont mind a little clarification for me?
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Trout I caught this weekend - 02/09/11 03:23 PM

I suspect that Paulo may be saying that he doesn't want to fish if he can't keep part of the catch for dinner? I know that's how I feel--I won't fish if it's only catch-and-release. Unfortunately all the streams in the Willamette River drainage are exactly that. I have to head over to east of the Cascades if I want to fly-fish for fresh-water fish.

Of course even on the east side we have to release any bull trout (endangered species) we catch, but that I can live with. I also generally release any fish smaller than the first one I catch unless they've been hooked too severely. However, so far I haven't had much luck fishing in northwestern Oregon. Too big a population of fisherpersons, I suspect.
Posted by: Paulo

Re: Trout I caught this weekend - 02/10/11 12:18 PM

I don't like to fish catch and release. Too much risk for the fish. I fish to eat.

Those rods that Jason uses have no reel. They are fixed line, so most useful in streams and rivers. (see quote below from their website).

Because of these factors, I can't justify them. That being said, I might consider one if I spent more time out in the USA.

Their website says:

Tenkara originated in the mountain streams of Japan, where professional fishermen used to catch fish for a living. With 11-13 foot long rods and no reel, anglers can very effectively fish mountain streams, with no unnecessary gear. The long rods telescope down to a mere 20 inches and are great for backpacking. Please take a look at our videos.

Re: Trout I caught this weekend - 02/16/11 01:24 PM

ahh i agree, i was wondering why rod type would have anything to do with release. I to fish to eat but inturn end up releaseing more than i eat. especially anything exceptional i like to leave the bigger stronger fish in there inviroment. and will only harvest average sized fish.