Something like this for a first setup?

Posted by: IamClovis

Something like this for a first setup? - 02/24/10 10:34 AM

So here is the skinny,

I grew up in Michigan fishing lakes and rivers my entire life, however fly fishing was something that I never really took part in, unless it was goofing around on my neighbors dock with his rod.

I have recently relocated to New Mexico, which i'm told has excellent fishing and hiking.(two of my biggest passions).

That being said, i'm very interested in going out on a 2-3 day hike into the mountains around Taos, NM this spring/summer and I need a compact fly setup. I saw this at cabelas a while back and was wondering if it was a good way to go. (Price is somewhat of a factor).

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...Cat=catrtflyfsh

Thanks.
Posted by: phat

Re: Something like this for a first setup? - 02/24/10 10:38 AM

Probably not bad, but take a look elsewhere at cabales - cabalas has lightweight 7 piece rods that will be easier to backpack with.

also be sure what type of fishing you're intending on doing. A lot of mountain streams don't require a lot of long casts to fish well, just a lot of careful flip and dip.

Re: Something like this for a first setup? - 02/24/10 10:45 AM

Originally Posted By phat

Probably not bad, but take a look elsewhere at cabales - cabalas has lightweight 7 piece rods that will be easier to backpack with.

also be sure what type of fishing you're intending on doing. A lot of mountain streams don't require a lot of long casts to fish well, just a lot of careful flip and dip.

Yea I have a few options for locations from what I hear from some of the guys at work, its gonna be one of those situations where I wont really know untill I get there tho
Posted by: Bobc

Re: Something like this for a first setup? - 02/24/10 12:31 PM

Go to google and enter Tenkara. I used to love fishing and hiking in NM. The Jemez mts, Snow Lake down near Silver City, the Bosque near Albu, all were awesome.

Re: Something like this for a first setup? - 02/24/10 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By Bobc
Go to google and enter Tenkara. I used to love fishing and hiking in NM. The Jemez mts, Snow Lake down near Silver City, the Bosque near Albu, all were awesome.

Thats a totally new concept for me Bobc, thanks. The rods look pretty pricey tho, do you think that it would be a better option than the pole listed in the link above?
Posted by: phat

Re: Something like this for a first setup? - 02/24/10 09:38 PM

It *REALLY* depends on the kind of fishing you are doing.

Posted by: jasonklass

Re: Something like this for a first setup? - 05/02/10 11:01 AM

If you're fishing streams, Tenkara is the way to go for backpacking IMHO. By not having to use a reel and heavy rod tube, you save a lot of weight. But if you need to boom out long casts on lakes you would probably want a conventional fly rod. What type of fishing are you doing?
Posted by: Samoset

Re: Something like this for a first setup? - 06/10/10 02:21 PM

i use a colapsable 12' 3pc fiberglass cane rod sold at wallmart for 12 bucks as a tenkara rod and it works fine i use 12 foot of braided waxd hempline(also sold @ wm) as the fly line and a reg 6-9 foot peice of mono as the tippit/leader material shoter thiker mono for heavey flys and longer thinner mono for lighter flys i generaly use 8ft 4ld test as a general duty leader/tippit (note: fishing is not about the gear as much the insight time and enthusiasm u put in to it.)that being sed i typically out fish freinds of mine "with this 15 dollar set up" that carry seven to a thousand dollrs a gear around with them and they just dont get it its more a bout the stalk aka knowing what kind of habbitats the fish are more likeky to be in and finding these places and the presentation putting something in front of a HUNGRY fish that resembles food in a manner that doesnt scare the fish its really that simple. GOOD LUCK
ps.. above all else unless your starving to death just enjoy yourself
Posted by: Narf

Re: Something like this for a first setup? - 06/10/10 03:16 PM

pretty good video explaining an excellant backpacking kit using Tenkara. Really makes me want to drop some $$ and give it a go simply looking at the kit he brings.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/tenkara.html

Anyone know of a place to buy/order Tenkara products?