A better telescoping spinning rod

Posted by: 300winmag

A better telescoping spinning rod - 09/15/09 10:27 PM

After a lot of looking at what turned out to be cheapo telescoping rods I bought a nice Cabela's V1200 graphite, telescoping 6 ft. light spinning rod. It weighs 3.1 oz.!!

It looks fragile at the tip section but boy that sucker has a nice, smooth curve to it when arched. No flat spots, unlike take-apart ferruled rods. It's model # TPS60L. BTW, collapsed it's only 19" long and because it's telescoping it doesn't need a case, just the rubber tip "condom" to hold the sections in place.

I had a nice old (20 years old) Penn 420ss ultralight spinning reel that I put on. I'm sure there is a better, lighter Shimano UL reel out there but the Penn is still a good reel W/ a 5.1:1 retrieve ratio. But unfortunately it weighs 8.9 oz. but still it's about what other good UL spinning reels weigh these days.

Also I put white nail polish "indexing" dots on both sides of the joints so the line guides always line up correctly. The total unit weighs, W/reel & line, 12.1 oz. Notta too bad.

Yes, a 6 ft. rod may seem short to some fly fishermen out there but it's dandy for UL spinning. Are there better telescoping rods out there?? I want a telescoping rod for the ease of fast deployment.

Now, what nice selection of light lures for trout do you suggest?

Eric
Posted by: phat

Re: A better telescoping spinning rod - 09/16/09 10:26 AM

Originally Posted By 300winmag

Now, what nice selection of light lures for trout do you suggest.

Adjust-a-bubble mostly filled with water so it's heavy to cast and still floats, with a nice montana nymph (or anything else nice and suggestive) about 4-5 feet below it. Fling it out into the lake as far as it can go and retrieve so slowly the bubble barely makes a ripple in still water.

For moving water, Mepps or small little twister jigs.
Posted by: Bushman

Re: A better telescoping spinning rod - 09/16/09 01:32 PM

I use to "fly fish" 4-6 foot spinning poles, leaving the spinning reel at home. Though you can over head cast that well you can still roll cast and kinda sling shot it.
I to kill it with the set up that phat talks about. Some type of worm, or red wood worm, live or imitation. Kills at the high elevation lakes.
Posted by: Haiwee

Re: A better telescoping spinning rod - 09/18/09 01:05 PM

I've completely changed my approach to spin fishing since I started. I used to carry everything but the kitchen sink: Panther Martins, Mepps spinners, Kastmasters, Crocodiles, Phobes, Blue Foxes.

Now I just carry Panther Martins in four colors: gold blade w/ black & red body; gold blade w/ black & yellow body, silver blade w/ yellow body, and black blade w/ black body. I carry at least three of each in both size 1 and size 2. And I carry two each of the smallest size Kastmaster in gold and silver. Finally, I carry a small assortment of mini-jigs in browns and greens.

If it's overcast I throw the black-bladed PM's. If it's bright I try both silver and gold until I hit on what's working. Some times (particularly when stream fishing), they'll hit nothing but jigs. Since I went to this system I almost always out-fish my buddies who carry, in my opinion, way too much tackle.

Re: A better telescoping spinning rod - 09/19/09 02:08 AM

Thanks guys. In Pennsylvania I used the smallest Panther Martins to good effect on native brookies.
I like the bubble float idea. I have a few small jigs left that my buddy made commercially. (Jack's Jigs)

Eric
Posted by: Bushman

Re: A better telescoping spinning rod - 09/20/09 02:56 AM

Panther Martins= reliable.

Re: A better telescoping spinning rod - 09/21/09 03:20 AM

Today I got new 8 lb line put on my reel. That 20 year old reel is OK. I saw a top of the line Shimano UL spinning reel at our local Bass Pro Shop that was very smooth and very light. But, Mon Deu! $149.! I can buy al lot of trout at the supermarket for that.

Anyway, as I get back into fishing I'll maybe be interested enough to get a new reel in a year or so. I do love spin fishing with UL tackle.

Eric
Posted by: jwild

Re: A better telescoping spinning rod - 05/07/11 09:48 PM

I have had a basic Shakespeare telescopic rod for well over 10 years and have caught hundreds of fish on it including big pike. its only like 5 feet long but it has held up really well. I would recommend it if you don't want to spend tons of money..
Posted by: james__12345

Re: A better telescoping spinning rod - 05/09/11 12:42 AM

Not exactly a "lure" but I've had a lot of luck with powerbait and a really small salmon egg hook. Another option I've had luck with is a small inline spinner with a small rubber trout body (got it at walmart, not sure what its called).

One more good option (again, not sure what its called sorry) is a spoon type thing I learned about from someone fishing next to me on the river one day. I went and picked one up at the local tackle shop from remembering what it looked like. The simple description is it looks sorta like a paper clip. Basically its a skinny piece of metal, bent double with a small gap inbetween. The eye for the line is in the middle of the bend, and it has a double hook (not trebble, double) on the longer of the two "legs" that stick back from the bend. If I see one anytime soon I'll write the name down. Someone else here may know what they are though.
Posted by: rickandanna

Re: A better telescoping spinning rod - 06/13/11 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By james__12345
Not exactly a "lure" but I've had a lot of luck with powerbait and a really small salmon egg hook. Another option I've had luck with is a small inline spinner with a small rubber trout body (got it at walmart, not sure what its called).

One more good option (again, not sure what its called sorry) is a spoon type thing I learned about from someone fishing next to me on the river one day. I went and picked one up at the local tackle shop from remembering what it looked like. The simple description is it looks sorta like a paper clip. Basically its a skinny piece of metal, bent double with a small gap inbetween. The eye for the line is in the middle of the bend, and it has a double hook (not trebble, double) on the longer of the two "legs" that stick back from the bend. If I see one anytime soon I'll write the name down. Someone else here may know what they are though.

criplure... thoes work great!
Posted by: james__12345

Re: A better telescoping spinning rod - 06/15/11 01:14 PM

Actually I just found the name. It is the Luhr Jensen Super Duper.