Fish Guts

Posted by: wandering_daisy

Fish Guts - 08/10/09 10:57 PM

What do you all do with the fish guts, heads and tails? A fishery biologist I know says to just put them up on the bank out of sight and animals will get them in a few days. I usually have a fire to cook fish, so try to burn what I do not eat. Someone else says throw them way out into the water so bears are not attracted. I am not sure there is one answer. I certainly would not throw guts back into the water in a heavily used area, but in an area that may get one or two people per year, maybe that is OK.
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Fish Guts - 08/11/09 12:33 AM

WD
It depends, many areas have regulations telling you what to do. Some Places require fish guts to disposed of in the water, some prohibit it. If buried it will be dug up. I think burning it is a good idea to reduce the weight and smell of the left overs. In a good fire it will completely burn. In high use areas a garbage can is the correct thing, in true wilderness it depends on regulations, but removing protein from high altitude lakes maybe requires returning the guts and head to the environment.
Ideas?
Oh Yes, I encourage my friends not to bring fish especially canned smoked salmon into bear areas. Eating fish is ok as long as you aren't living off golden trout...

I notice that areas of high camping use have more chipmunks and golden mantled ground squirrels. Like city parks, the animal population in these areas gets a lot of food from humans. If that food source was cut off, a lot of animals would die. I've heard that urban raccoon populations can be three times higher per square mile than in a natural raccoon population in the woods somewhere.
So its sort of complex, others will have more to say...
Jim
Posted by: Haiwee

Re: Fish Guts - 08/11/09 07:30 PM

I usually leave the guts and consumed carcass out in the open far away from my (or anyone else's) camp. Some animal will come along and consume it within a day or so.
Posted by: Rick

Re: Fish Guts - 08/11/09 10:23 PM

A number of years ago this question was asked. At that time there was some discussion about the hazards of disposing fish guts back into the water. I can't remember the exact disease that was spread by such practice or the specific area of the country it pertained to.
Anybody recall this conversation? the name of the disease? the geographic area of concern?
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Fish Guts - 08/17/09 01:28 AM

It's called whirling disease and it's a disease of trout.

I did some research and it seems that every jurisdiction has a different answer. Evidently, it's best to follow what rules are applicable to where you are,
Posted by: Rick

Re: Fish Guts - 08/17/09 07:29 AM

That sounds like it. Thanks OregonMouse

"Fish bones or entrails should never be disposed of in any body of water, since spores from the carcass will be released into the waterway. Salmon and trout should not be used as bait."

More can be found Here

Because birds could carry contaminated entrails to other lakes or rivers, the safest way to dispose of entrails may be to burn or bury them.

I have never heard of this problem in Ontario waters. I normally would dispose of fish guts back into the water.

As fishers, it becomes our responsibility to understand and adhere to the local rules and regulations - which I'm sure we all do.