Sky diving factoid

Posted by: BZH

Sky diving factoid - 03/01/23 12:24 PM

Did you know that no one in the history of sky diving has complained about a shoot that won't open?
Posted by: JustWalking

Re: Sky diving factoid - 03/03/23 11:19 PM

Chute. :-)

(Old paratrooper here...)
Posted by: BZH

Re: Sky diving factoid - 03/06/23 09:40 AM

blush...well... they probably say, "shoot," and few other choice words when the chute won't open...

Re: Sky diving factoid - 03/06/23 05:12 PM

Part of a song we sang while running at jump school...

If my chute don't open wide,
I've got another one by my side,
If that one should fail me too,
Look out ground I'm coming through!

(funny, to me, that the song says 'by my side' for the reserve parachute, but it was actually in front, not on the side)
Posted by: PerryMK

Re: Sky diving factoid - 03/08/23 05:10 PM

We used to say that if the parachute doesn’t open you have the rest of your life to figure out how to use the reserve. Should be about 10 seconds.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Sky diving factoid - 03/08/23 05:22 PM

The thing I could never figure out is why you guys wanted to leave a perfectly good aircraft. smile

Re: Sky diving factoid - 03/08/23 05:47 PM

Therein lies a popular misconception, that these were perfectly good aircraft. The only time I ever landed in a military aircraft it had engine trouble. For all I know the rest just flew into the wild blue yonder never to be seen again. eek
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Sky diving factoid - 03/09/23 10:18 AM

I have to admit, I worked for a colonel who once lost 4 engines en route to England. Of course, the B-36 he was piloting had 10, so as he said, it was no big deal. smile

As an ROTC cadet, I got to take an orientation flight in a T-33 jet trainer. I still remember what the pilot told me: "Remember one thing: if I say 'bail out' and you say 'what?' you'll be talking to an empty cockpit.
Posted by: Arizona

Re: Sky diving factoid - 03/09/23 01:14 PM

I have more than 20,000 hours over a 30 year period flying in light aircraft and never thought of jumping out. The time the airplane caught fire at 17,500’ over the Sierra Madre was a bit intense but a good dive put it out. Another time the engine disassembled itself over Phoenix but we barely made it to Sky Harbot and even then it was better than jumping.

A pilot once told me that his brother’s chute didn’t open during a jump and he survived. I never did confirm that but it made a pretty good story.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Sky diving factoid - 03/09/23 02:25 PM

"survived" eek

Re: Sky diving factoid - 03/09/23 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
The thing I could never figure out is why you guys wanted to leave a perfectly good aircraft. smile

You must not have flown with Air Force pilots before.... :-)

Re: Sky diving factoid - 03/09/23 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By Arizona

A pilot once told me that his brother’s chute didn’t open during a jump and he survived. I never did confirm that but it made a pretty good story.

I had one fold in half in high winds. I bounced off the ground.
Posted by: Arizona

Re: Sky diving factoid - 03/10/23 08:29 AM

Originally Posted By PerryMK
Originally Posted By Arizona

I had one fold in half in high winds. I bounced off the ground.

Glad you made it! Yikes