EDC

Posted by: BZH

EDC - 09/22/22 10:59 AM

I thought this aligned well with the group ethos:

Posted by: Arizona

Re: EDC - 09/23/22 01:27 PM

I’ve seen kits close to that on some sites. Lol

Recently I read Lost in the Yellowstone, Truman Everett’s 37 day odyssey of being totally lost. He started out with a bunch of gear and through negligence lost most of it right off, became totally lost himself and then lost more necessary gear. He didn’t pay attention to anything but ended up subsisting on thistle roots. The person who ended up rescuing him didn’t like him at all and the expedition leader refused to pay for the rescue. Sounds like the heavily equipped guy was almost a total dunce.

So don’t forget the common sense and knowledge. Lol
Posted by: GrumpyGord

Re: EDC - 09/25/22 06:03 PM

I had not heard of that book so I found it online and read it. It is a mystery how someone so dumb and inept could survive for 37 days. When you find yourself in a survival situation you guard everything you have with you and do not keep losing things. You watch what you do and where you go.
Posted by: aimless

Re: EDC - 09/25/22 11:54 PM

I guess the best excuse Evert had for staying lost so long was that all this took place in 1870 when the Yellowstone area hadn't even been mapped, yet, let alone having an established network of trails or roads. And Evert was no wilderness-hardened mountain man, either. He was a tax assessor for the territorial government who later worked in a post office in Maryland. Once he was on his own, he had zero skills to accomplish a self rescue. He was damned lucky the party sent to find his dead body found him alive instead.