Grandkids are great!

Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Grandkids are great! - 11/14/19 07:47 PM

My granddaughter spent her first 18 years living in Georgia, just north of Atlanta. She's now a freshman at University of Cincinnati, about an hour south of us in Ohio. We had our first snow and single-digit lows this week.

The day after it snowed, I told her to look our her windwo ("Welcome to Ohio, Katie!") Then I asked her if she knew why it was called "snow."

The answer, obviously, is that all the other 4-letter words were taken. She thought that was funny, and that I have a good sense of humor. She and her sister are the only ones who get me, God love them.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Grandkids are great! - 11/15/19 02:36 PM

Aren't grandchildren awesome! I now have 7 of them, ranging in age from 32 years to 18 months. I'm hoping for a great grandchild soon, but no signs yet (I refuse to put on pressure by asking!).

I hope Katie is adjusting to the weather! I've been hearing complaints from my son #1 who is fairly close to you (near Wilmington).

I love your version of the origin of the word "snow"!

Re: Grandkids are great! - 11/15/19 05:39 PM

Yes, January came in November this year. The lowest (so far) was 7 degrees last week. (I'm about 20 miles west of Wilmington.)

By the way, I have another Katie story: One day, when she was 8 or 9, her father and I were driving her somewhere or another. We were talking, and somehow the topic of West Virginia came up. From the back seat (she wasn't old enough to sit up front yet), Katie asked a showstopper question: "West Virginia? Isn't that where they have the Kentucky Derby?" Neither of us knew quite how to answer.

When we got home, I promptly went to the tourism websites for Kentucky and West Virginia, and signed Katie up. She got stuff from them for the next six months! (And yes, she now knows where the Derby is run.)
Posted by: PerryMK

Re: Grandkids are great! - 11/16/19 05:56 AM

Stuff No One Wants

Re: Grandkids are great! - 11/16/19 06:09 PM

Yes, it was. smile

Another time, she raved about the soft, comfy toilet paper at our house. Not just once, but for the entire time her family was visiting us. Partly, I think, it was a chance to bug her mother (did I mention she was a teenager?): "Mom gets us that John Wayne toilet paper at Costco; it's rough and tough and won't take crap off anybody."

As soon as we waved goodbye to them, I went inside, logged into Amazon, and drop-shipped her a case of our brand. The video of the delivery was priceless. (I had tipped off her mother it was coming.)