Permitted trail use

Posted by: GrumpyGord

Permitted trail use - 02/10/09 09:57 AM

I do not know where this sign is located but the placement makes it funny.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01290/sign22_1290538i.jpg
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Permitted trail use - 02/12/09 10:17 AM

So, on this trail, wearing blaze orange just makes you a better target? eek
Posted by: GrumpyGord

Re: Permitted trail use - 02/12/09 11:50 AM

The way I read the sign is that shooting hikers is a permitted use. LOL
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Permitted trail use - 02/12/09 01:49 PM

Great - now we've got a whole new topic to discuss about guns and backpacking: "Do your fellow hikers make you want to bring a weapon?" crazy
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Permitted trail use - 02/12/09 10:39 PM

I remember being camped in the Sierras, about 3 miles in at a lake. 5 or 6 kids of junior college age, and obviously not locals, pitched their tent 3 feet from mine with the fronts lined up like a boy scout camp. For those east coast people, in the west we consider fifty feet to be about the minimum space requirement for such a thing, and if there is no other tentsite around, you keep going.

What makes this relevant is that I just happened to be dressed in full battle dress with a .45 automatic on a 3" green web belt. I address my neighboors to ask what they thought they were doing, and they ignored me. Now I'm thinking these guys are from NY city, meaning they were street smart but it must have been their first trip out west - we are friendly here.. So I stood there talking to them for about a minute about sharing the campsite and all but how I had a bunch of buddies coming in with automatic weapons and lots of ammo and we were be doing some target practice and would they like to join us? They are still refusing to acknowledge my presence right - when one steels a glance and screams "Hes got a gun, run for it". They had the tent down and were seen hightailing it on down the trail.
Jim crazy
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Permitted trail use - 02/13/09 02:59 PM

That explains the scared group of kids I saw running down the trail with tents in their hands, instead of their packs. goodjob goodjob
Posted by: chaz

Re: Permitted trail use - 02/19/09 12:16 PM

O.K that was funny.What wasn't funny was trying to laugh after having surgery yesterday. LOL ouch LOL ouch.