Hiking Naked?

Posted by: balzaccom

Hiking Naked? - 08/24/23 10:22 AM

I'm not usually a fan of commercial promotions in the back country, but this one made me smile; https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/hiking-and-backpacking/naked-trails/
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Hiking Naked? - 08/24/23 11:45 AM

As I recall, Colin Fletcher first suggested "boots and socks only" hiking in the original Complete Walker. (I think he first tried it on either his length-of-California walk or his Grand Canyon walk.)

Never been brave (or proud) enough to try it myself. wink

Re: Hiking Naked? - 08/24/23 12:02 PM

It does make you think about sitting down for a rest on the trail...

Re: Hiking Naked? - 08/24/23 01:10 PM

And stepping over fallen trees would also require a bit more thought.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Hiking Naked? - 08/24/23 07:04 PM

And biting bugs!!!

Re: Hiking Naked? - 08/24/23 09:59 PM

I've had bugs get in my mouth, nose, eyes and ears while hiking. You've just opened up new frontiers of fear! smile
Posted by: JustWalking

Re: Hiking Naked? - 08/31/23 01:51 AM

Hiking without any clothes, but just shoes
Seems a thing that some people now do
Let your “boys” swing in the breeze
Just as free as they please
Just know the skeeters will notice that too…..
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: Hiking Naked? - 11/07/23 02:24 PM

Just...NO!
Posted by: tramp

Re: Hiking Naked? - 11/13/23 05:58 PM

Nah. I'm so pale I don't need that kind exposure in the sun.
Posted by: DanyBacky

Re: Hiking Naked? - 01/04/24 09:06 PM

This is an interesting, but I have to admit that I wouldn’t dream of doing it. 😊
Posted by: packlite

Re: Hiking Naked? - 01/10/24 09:03 PM

No sir, no way. I need protection from bushes, rocks, insects, etc. Clothes do that for me. If a person wants to hike buff, so be it. I won't judge or criticize, but wonder if they've ever been slightly off-trail, let alone bushwhack.

It's not a matter of modesty, either. Plenty of us, including me, strip down for a swim in alpine lakes. For on-trail, though, I'd rather be fully equipped and protected. Clothes are a big part of my equipment.
Posted by: Jim M

Re: Hiking Naked? - 01/22/24 01:17 AM

Hey! Wait a minute! The clothing industry spends millions of dollars on high tech gear advertising. If we go nude the economy will be deeply affected. We need to keep buying those High-end products to keep the wealthy corporations in business.

A long time ago there was a runner from Africa who was one of the fastest in the world. When he wanted to run in the Olympics bare foot, they told him definitely "no!" Because running shoes was a billion-dollar industry that was supporting the Olympics that year.

(Besides....no one wants to see my nude body at this point!)

Re: Hiking Naked? - 01/22/24 08:31 PM

But in the end, he did run--and won!

https://olympics.com/en/news/barefooted-bikila-steps-in-for-heroic-marathon-triumph
Posted by: JustWalking

Re: Hiking Naked? - 01/25/24 10:33 PM

"If we go nude the economy will be deeply affected. We need to keep buying those High-end products to keep the wealthy corporations in business."

"Every man, woman and child compelled to consume so much a year. In the interests of industry..."