Long cold nights in northern latitudes

Posted by: Jim M

Long cold nights in northern latitudes - 11/17/19 01:08 AM

We might be doing an overnight-er soon. It will get dark at about 4:30 and light again until about 7 AM. I used to love laying in the tent and reading a novel, but somehow now that I am old my joints complain after not to long. I suppose we could play cards for a while, but resting on your elbow(s) or sitting cross legged isn't the most comfortable thing after a while either. I am not sure there is an answer, but the question is: What do you do with 13 hours of darkness on a backing trip? https://www.backpacking.net/forum/images/icons/default/confused.gif
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Long cold nights in northern latitudes - 11/17/19 11:44 AM

Agree that's the suckiest part of winter camping.

My strategy, such as it is, is to stay up as late as I can. Poke at the fire if you have one, stargaze if it's clear, plan around the moon and take a night hike, whatever can get you into the rack late enough you don't find yourself getting up to deal with a cranky bladder before dawn. (I know what climbers do about that but am not an adherent.)

If you must turn in early--weather or whatever--a book, cards, puzzles, some kind of diversion is a must.

At least we have super-efficient headlamps now. Back when they took D-cell batteries, ugh.

Be sure to note the lack of bugs. One of the best aspects of winter outings.
Posted by: Jim M

Re: Long cold nights in northern latitudes - 11/17/19 12:54 PM

Rick D--
thanks for your comments. It is certainly a beautiful season to be out. I never tire of the beauty of the evergreens covered with snow. We almost never see anyone else out on the trails and as you say, no bugs. It is also a bit of a challenge, but all the more satisfaction from staying warm and dry. Jim
Posted by: waddo

Re: Long cold nights in northern latitudes - 12/17/19 07:57 AM

We use Thermarest chair kits to turn out pads into chairs with a backrest. We happily lounge for hours inside the tent. Especially great when it's very cold out and we also sit inside our sleeping bags.
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Long cold nights in northern latitudes - 12/22/19 04:18 PM

Today we hit the bottom; daylight will be gradually increasing! Yeh!!!
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Long cold nights in northern latitudes - 12/23/19 01:36 PM

Last week the local sunset was 4:44 and today it will be 4:48.

Progress!

I cycle to work and the trip home is no fun this time of year.