Safety on the trail...and elsewhere

Posted by: balzaccom

Safety on the trail...and elsewhere - 06/21/14 09:51 AM

From Backpacker Magazine:

"According to the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees, your odds of becoming a victim of violent crime in a national park are one in 708,000. In the United States overall, it’s one in 50."

Be careful--especially once you get back home!
Posted by: bluefish

Re: Safety on the trail...and elsewhere - 06/21/14 04:40 PM

Guess I'll have to spend lots more time in them to test the statistical accuracy. thanks
Posted by: aimless

Re: Safety on the trail...and elsewhere - 06/21/14 06:57 PM

I think Backpacker may be a bit off with that national statistic. Maybe they added property crimes in there along with "violent" crimes? shocked
Posted by: AdventureMyk

Re: Safety on the trail...and elsewhere - 06/22/14 07:11 PM

If that were actually the case then I can certainly see why they are now allowing those with Concealed Weapon Permits into the parks. If the odds are 1-50 I've been missed way too many times...
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Safety on the trail...and elsewhere - 06/22/14 09:37 PM

Actually, you can carry a firearm in a National Park (if you have a concealed weapon permit valid in that particular state), but firing one is a no-no that will lead to expensive fines and jail time! Why bother to carry something you can't use?
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Safety on the trail...and elsewhere - 06/23/14 09:16 AM

Originally Posted By aimless
I think Backpacker may be a bit off with that national statistic. Maybe they added property crimes in there along with "violent" crimes? shocked

A story in the paper today noted that 30% of all women in the US have experienced physical abuse in their marriage....that may add to the statistics....
Posted by: aimless

Re: Safety on the trail...and elsewhere - 06/23/14 12:50 PM

That's an interesting theory, but, domestic violence being what it is, I suspect very few of those incidents make it into crime statistics because they go unreported. frown
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Safety on the trail...and elsewhere - 07/30/14 08:53 AM

I wonder if they factored in muggings by bears? smile The ladies at work worry about me being out there alone.
Duane
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Safety on the trail...and elsewhere - 07/30/14 11:22 AM

That 1 in 50 might be right. The neighborhood I grew up in is now the 5th most dangerous in the US. Odds of being a victim of a violent crime there are now 1 in 11.

25 most dangerous neighborhoods.
Posted by: Mama

Re: Safety on the trail...and elsewhere - 11/01/14 07:41 AM

When I was single I hiked solo a lot. Didn't worry a second about bugs, bears, snakes, any of the other calamities the guys at work teased me about. Worried about people. It's unnerving bumping into guys who feel the need to make comments like,"What's a young girl like you doing out here all alone?" I had a hard time sleeping at night in those cases. But in the end nothing ever happened.

Now I'm 48 yrs old and married, no more solo backpacking. Looking back, despite the sleepless nights, after all these years the only true near miss I've encountered was bumping into an out of control pit bull on the trail. Zero violent incidents.

In my "real" life (ie city life) in my younger days, I've had a car break in, a stolen purse, and a home burglary (thank goodness I wasn't home when it happened). Even once had a guy jump into my car and demand to be taken somewhere when I was stopped waiting to make a turn. Drove with doors locked ever since.

I agree with Balzaccom. Although I've never been a victim of violent crime, I think our odds are better in the wild.
Posted by: Minx

Re: Safety on the trail...and elsewhere - 12/04/14 11:57 AM

Safety is something I believe needs constant vigilance. Interesting that this thread gets more woman adding to it. City life is out of control. I worry about my daughter. Feel like I need to get her out in the woods where it's safe.
I have always thought of backpacking as an extension of prepping... visa versa I guess. I know it's not very pc in this forum community but the 2 things are so related, at least for me. Being prepared to handle a situation, on the trail or in the city has always been second nature to me. Even as a kid. (Too many Batman and Spiderman comics as a kid probably)
I am constantly amazed at many people's lack of thought about safety, on trail or city but less seen on trail by virtue of the activities very nature.
Prepping does not mean one has to be nuts about it as is seen on many a media with hoarding ammo and such, just as ultralight (or at least lightweight) does not have to mean cutting your toothbrush in half. There is, in my mind at least, a perfectly rational way to think about, address and prepare for worst case scenarios without being psycho or causing undo stress. Simply thinking thru some "what ifs" is a healthy thing. What would I need if...
For example. Driving a car in Arizona without a little water in the trunk verges on complete idiocy in my opinion. Maybe a first aid kit and tow line or tarp or other shade - maker as well? It's fracking hot here and if you are out a ways...well, you get it.
Likewise on the trail. The lady who mentioned "sleepless nights" because of creeps above. Exactly. What if? Being prepared might mitigate a bit of that feeling and help if the what if happened. So glad it never did.
An oz of pepper spray beats a pound of worry. Maybe?
I have only had one violent encounter out in the wilderness in over 40 years of backpacking. It is extremely rare. I don't give it a second thought, but I do give it a first thought.

Tread lightly.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Safety on the trail...and elsewhere - 12/04/14 01:57 PM

Planning is important, and that begins with frame of mind (IMHO).

Where is "city life out of control?" Nationally, crime is at 30-40 year lows and trending downward, so if there's a city where that trend is reversed, I'd give serious consideration to moving away. Planning I can believe in.

Cheers,