Super hot sleeper: help deciding sleeping system

Posted by: swammie

Super hot sleeper: help deciding sleeping system - 04/27/12 06:08 PM

I'm a very hot sleeper. Seems my heater goes on the minute I hit the sack. Wife loves it, I find it difficult to sleep with any covers at first. I continue to sleep warm all night but usually wake up like anyone else...pulling the bag tightly around myself before I exit into the cold morning air.

Luckily the zipper broke on my sleeping bag a few years ago and I was forced to discover the joys of quilting. Allows me to wiggle and flap my arms and legs to chase the heat away when I'm trying to go down for the night.

I'm getting ready to put serious effort into a new bag purchase. I'm on the west coast (temperate northern CA) and I've currently got a 6lb synthetic Alps Mountaineering bag. Seems like I'll probably move towards a 35 degree down bag for now. Someday I'll need to make my own down quilt.

Anyone else like this? What sleeping system helped you out?

Doug

Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Super hot sleeper: help deciding sleeping system - 04/27/12 06:29 PM

Hi Doug,

It would seem likes a quilt would be the way to go, as they have a broad temperature range at minimum weight and bulk. There aren't a whole lot of them available commercially compared to sleeping bags, but there are a few.

Otherwise, a 30-degree down bag with full zip would be a nice option. I can endure pretty much any summer Sierra weather surprises in a 30-degree bag, while my spouse needs something practically winter-rated no matter what. Down bags in this range are mearly always under two pounds, many closer to a pound. You'll never touch that Alps giant again.

Happy shopping,
Posted by: lori

Re: Super hot sleeper: help deciding sleeping system - 04/30/12 01:09 AM

If you plan to spend time at higher elevations, I'm going to suggest a 20F setup. I always check the forecast for the area I'm heading into, and try to prepare for 10 degrees below the forecast - worst case being I am wearing everything I have.

I use a 20-25F rated JRB down quilt for 3 season backpacking. It's really easy to stick out limbs and get cooler while using it. Despite the rating I've been comfortable at 50F and above. It's also true to rating since it does get below freezing often in the high Sierra and I've had many opportunities to test it. I am a cold sleeper.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Super hot sleeper: help deciding sleeping system - 04/30/12 11:34 AM

Hey Swammie,

I am in a similar situation. I just bought a quilt from Tim Marshall at enlightened equipment. It is being made as we speak, so I can't give you a personal review yet, but everything I have heard says he makes a great product. He makes the revelation x with second quality rip stop nylon and I think it is the deal of the century on an ultralight quilt. Second quality in this sense means in terms of coloration not fabric strength. I'll update more when get my quilt, but I though I would let you know.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Super hot sleeper: help deciding sleeping system - 05/01/12 11:00 AM

I've been debabating a quilt also, but for even Tim's pricing, can't justify the slight weight savings over my 1.5 lb WM Caribou bag.
Duane
Posted by: swammie

Re: Super hot sleeper: help deciding sleeping system - 05/01/12 11:54 AM

Very cool (literally!) Waiting for your review.

Re: Super hot sleeper: help deciding sleeping system - 05/01/12 12:06 PM

Originally Posted By hikerduane
I've been debabating a quilt also, but for even Tim's pricing, can't justify the slight weight savings over my 1.5 lb WM Caribou bag.
Duane

Yeah, I was debating between a high end bag (WM or feathered friends) or a quilt. I think the main differences are functionality and not weight. I am guessing quilts use more insulation for a given temp. rating because you can leak heat when you shift around. Whereas lightweight bags achieve their rating by carefully sealing all of the heat up inside. I was concerned that I would find draft collars and hoods too restrictive. Enlightened equipment's prices was the nail in the coffin for me.

Originally Posted By swammie
Very cool (literally!) Waiting for your review.

got an email today and my quilt is in the mail:

Quote:
Hello BZH,

Your package from enLIGHTened equipment is on its way. You can track it online using this tracking number.

U.S. Postal Service: xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am very excited. This is going to replace a very heavy REI down bag my parents bought in the '70's.
Posted by: Cranman

Re: Super hot sleeper: help deciding sleeping system - 05/07/12 08:49 PM

Hey Swammie- your description of being a hot sleeper is exactly how I sleep. I recently spent a night out where the lows were upper 50's and was afraid my 20 degree bag would be way too hot...it wasn't. I fell asleep on top of it, got half way in at some point, then by the moring I was all the way in it. It's a Kelty Light Year down bag, and the only downside for summer use is the weight, just a bit over 3 lbs.

I have been looking at quilts and also trying to decide if the poncho liner and/or fleece bag I currently have will suffice. Either one weighs between 18-24oz, not super light but alot lighter than the kelty bag. It seems though that anything light and moderatly warm is more spendy than I want to spend.

One last thought, not to hijack your post, seems like if I took two poncho liners, doubled them up and sewn in the manner of most of the BP quilts I have seen, would work great in the summer and the poncho liners go for about $10 each on ebay!

Re: Super hot sleeper: help deciding sleeping system - 05/07/12 09:04 PM

Swammie, in case you missed it, I posted my review over in the gear forum.
Posted by: wildthing

Sleeping Hot - Quilts Might be Fun - 07/04/12 05:54 PM

You know, I should try a quilt. Thing is I've never met anyone in BC who used one. That's because nightime temps have been 45-50F at lower elevations and close to 32 at elevation. I can't imagine that a quilt is that much fun at freezing or below. Doesn't a lot of cold air come in?
Posted by: Hermes (Nick G)

Re: Sleeping Hot - Quilts Might be Fun - 10/31/12 12:33 PM

I have Rev X quilt from Tim and I literally cannot find any imperfections. Don't have a clue what could be wrong with it visually or practically. Second quality fabric for the win!
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: Sleeping Hot - Quilts Might be Fun - 10/31/12 03:09 PM

I asked Tim about this and he said it could be a small defect on one corner of a roll that could be eliminated. So most of the material is perfect. He said on occasion you'll get a stripe in the material or slight variation in color.
Posted by: lori

Re: Sleeping Hot - Quilts Might be Fun - 11/03/12 11:10 AM

If the quilt is the right size for you, it tucks around you and there aren't drafts until you kick it off or roll over and create gaps.

I've used my quilt for several years, and it's habit now to just re-tuck everything and fall asleep. Not really a problem.

If you look at backpackgeartest.org at Ray Estrella's reviews, he uses quilts unless things are subzero. He's living in Minnesota...