The "NOTIFY" button

Posted by: OregonMouse

The "NOTIFY" button - 11/30/11 06:37 PM

At the bottom of every post is a bunch of buttons: "Edit," "Reply," "Quote," "Notify."

The "Notify" button is for you to click on if the post is spam or seems otherwise to violate forum guidelines. Doing this will send emails to all the moderators so we can delete the spam and ban the spammer. Admittedly, it fills up our email boxes, but that's better than letting the spammers keep spewing their garbage!

You folks out there are our first line of defense against misuse of these forums! Thank you!
Posted by: Glenn

Re: The "NOTIFY" button - 11/30/11 07:08 PM

Should we use the "notify" button when we see a legitimate post that seems to belong in a different forum? (Aimless just moved one to Beginners; I noticed it earlier, but wasn't sure if I should use the notify option or not.)
Posted by: phat

Re: The "NOTIFY" button - 11/30/11 10:06 PM

For me (and perhaps not for the other mods) I'd say no. send us a pm instead.

The notify button is the only thing on the entire board I have send me email - I watch it to clear out the spam quickly.

Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: The "NOTIFY" button - 12/01/11 08:38 PM

I agree with Phat--let's save "notify" for stuff that's really urgent we get rid of, like spam! Especially the nasty stuff that showed up today!

If you have other concerns (wrong forum, for instance), you might want to PM more than one of the mods, since some of us do go out of town (or lose our email, as happened to me last month) every now and then!

Posted by: Glenn

Re: The "NOTIFY" button - 12/02/11 07:08 AM

Thanks - that makes sense.
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: The "NOTIFY" button - 01/20/12 12:15 PM

Thanks to this series of posts, I "knew" to hit the "notify" button when I saw spam.