Barred owl

Posted by: kevonionia

Barred owl - 07/19/14 04:39 PM

I've been volunteering at the Idaho State Park at Priest Lake this summer, which is providing me with some great photo ops.

Pretty unusual to see a barred owl on the ground, holding his ground (and an unfortunate ground squirrel.)

That raven in the one shot was MUCH bigger than a football.

Photos taken with a new, but old-model Canon t3i I bought in June from amazon -- I just couldn't justify the minor improvements of the t4i and t5i for their price.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Barred owl - 07/19/14 05:33 PM

What a great opportunity! I sometimes hear owls but rarely see them, and only at night when they're scaring the crap out of me by flying past, from the dark.

Cheers,
Posted by: ndsol

Re: Barred owl - 07/30/14 09:32 AM

Great photos.

Late last year, I was able to photograph a barred owl in the neighborhood. I have seen them on the ground while I am walking in the back near the bayou. We also have Great Horned Owls in the same area.

Posted by: kevonionia

Re: Barred owl - 08/01/14 05:17 PM

ndsol:

Great pix. They really are big birds. We saw one of the "babies" seen earlier this summer last night on a low branch and it was huge. It was still making that hissing screech (of the young, I guess.) Further away we could hear what was apparently the mom with her "Who cooks for you?" I've never seen a great horned owl.
Posted by: prussicnot

Re: Barred owl - 08/07/14 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By kevonionia
I've been volunteering at the Idaho State Park at Priest Lake this summer, which is providing me with some great photo ops.

Pretty unusual to see a barred owl on the ground, holding his ground (and an unfortunate ground squirrel.)

That raven in the one shot was MUCH bigger than a football.

Photos taken with a new, but old-model Canon t3i I bought in June from amazon -- I just couldn't justify the minor improvements of the t4i and t5i for their price.

I'm a little late seeing your post, but I want to thank you! Owls are my favorite, and you have some great pics.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Barred owl - 09/11/14 11:35 AM

I'm a little late on this, but great pics. I bought my wife a T2i a few years ago because I couldn't justify the higher price of the T3i for one minor improvement. She just started with a photography class this week and is now really getting in to how to use all the manual functions.

Also, I didn't realize you were in Idaho. I thought you were in Colorado.
Posted by: robojoel

Re: Barred owl - 01/13/15 02:55 PM

Awesome shots thanks for sharing them!