Flexible Tripods

Posted by: MarkNM

Flexible Tripods - 05/13/10 10:07 AM

Saw a multi colored flexible tripod that looks as though it could be wrapped around a branch or perhaps a trek pole...and also does the usual tripod thing...appears to have sections on each leg to make it longer/shorter by adding more lil pegs from one leg....

seems really light being mostly plastic, but i feel nervous putting my dslr on one...

what other options do i have?

here's a link
http://www.amazon.com/Joby-Gorillapod-SL...262&sr=1-54
Posted by: kbennett

Re: Flexible Tripods - 05/14/10 08:24 AM

There are several Gorillapods. The really tiny one is good for point and shoot cameras. The larger ones (like your link) will hold a small DSLR. A small Gorillapod goes with me on every hike.

As for safety, well, even a big sturdy tripod can tip over.
Posted by: Kent W

Re: Flexible Tripods - 05/14/10 09:53 PM

I made a monopod. I have a metal Lathe and machined a 1/4 twenty TPI thumb screw and cap from t6 aluminum. I epoxied a 1/4 20 tpi stainles post in top of my treking pole handle. While this isnt as stable as a tripod, IT does very nice in conjunction with a image stablized lens. Happy trails
Posted by: Franco

Re: Flexible Tripods - 05/20/10 07:39 PM

Hi
I use the Ultrapod. This one I can wrap around my walking pole as a monopod or for "self portrait" if I need to do so (never do...)
http://www.pedcopods.com/
I also have one of the Gorilla pods but prefer the Ultrapod.
Franco
Posted by: Kent W

Re: Flexible Tripods - 05/20/10 10:04 PM

Hm Thanks food for thought. Just need to make a ultra lightweight outriger from my treking pole monopod to my Canon! This would be nice as when I was dayhiking I carried full tripod ,and used timer to photograph myself. I can fabricate tis to be what i have.. Thank you!
Posted by: MarkNM

Re: Flexible Tripods - 06/09/10 12:37 PM

ended up with a sunpak flexible tripod rather than the gorillapod...the sunpaks triangle shapped leg sections proveided more grip and hanging options, and also weighs a lot less. With taking the tilt head off(optional) my scale says its just shy of 8oz...