Look Ma, No Tripod!

Posted by: Kekawaka

Look Ma, No Tripod! - 11/12/08 05:59 AM

Here's a really neat idea for stabilizing your camera (vertically, at least) when you don't have a tripod. ...could totally be improvised on the trail as well.

The idea is to use a piece of string anchored under your foot and attached to the camera via a screw at the tripod mount. Just pull up taught, and shoot. This Metacafe video demonstrates:

$1 Image Stabilizer for any Camera

Isn't this just one of the most "simply elegant" ultralight ideas you've seen in awhile?

Cheers,

Kekawaka
Posted by: kevonionia

Re: Look Ma, No Tripod! - 12/02/08 04:20 PM

Thanks for that excellent tip. I'm going to give this simple idea a try.

I just came back from a trip where I took many low light shots and used lamp posts, light poles, rockwalls & bar stools to steady, since I didn't have or want a tripod. I did this despite a harrowing experience in NZ a few years ago, when I went to steady myself on a fence post -- and it was electrified. Had me dancing.

The video said to use a 1/4" coarse thread bolt to screw into the camera, but never said what size fender washer that was (just kidding.) I'll post a review, and at what shutter speed it stays steady with an IS lens.
Posted by: mockturtle

Re: Look Ma, No Tripod! - 12/03/08 12:29 PM

Please let us know how it works, OK? Sounds like a great idea...but the proof of the pudding is in the eating....
Posted by: gregpphoto

Re: Look Ma, No Tripod! - 01/15/09 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By Kekawaka
Here's a really neat idea for stabilizing your camera (vertically, at least) when you don't have a tripod. ...could totally be improvised on the trail as well.

The idea is to use a piece of string anchored under your foot and attached to the camera via a screw at the tripod mount. Just pull up taught, and shoot. This Metacafe video demonstrates:

$1 Image Stabilizer for any Camera

Isn't this just one of the most "simply elegant" ultralight ideas you've seen in awhile?

Cheers,

Kekawaka

Duh! That's pretty funny indeed, and quite clever. I could see using it, but a tripod can never be replaced especially for solo self-portraits and night shots.
Posted by: jpanderson80

Re: Look Ma, No Tripod! - 05/01/09 04:50 PM

Did anyone try this? How did it turn out?
Posted by: Kent W

Re: Look Ma, No Tripod! - 10/24/09 07:51 PM

I used to carry a tripod. I now have made a monopod out of my trecking pole. I have a lathe and machined the pieces myself. My Canon eos digital mounts on top of my trecking pole when needed, And when not light weight threaded insert is caped of on top of pole. Anybodys interested i can make you one on a kswiss pole for 40.00 us.It is a standard 1/4 20 camera mount thread. I may even be able to fit to more expensive poles Haventtried as of yet!