looking for a light weight tripod

Posted by: ekitowski

looking for a light weight tripod - 09/02/08 12:15 PM

Looking for a light weight tripod for a DSLR. Not looking for one of those that stands only 6" high. I'm looking for one that stands at least 2' off the ground with an articulating mount. Something under 2 lbs. Any ideas?
Posted by: kbennett

Re: looking for a light weight tripod - 09/07/08 07:20 AM

The Feisol travel tripod gets good reviews:

http://reallybigcameras.com/Feisol/Traveler_Class.htm

It's on my short list of things to buy. I need to find out if their optional ball head will accept the mounting plates that I already use (Arca-Swiss style plates from Really Right Stuff.)

It's $300, or for an extra $100 you can get their small ball head.
Posted by: photohiker

Re: looking for a light weight tripod - 09/07/08 07:55 AM

I suspect you are looking for light weight & lower price than the pro or semi-pro models. I would suggest this one from Velbon http://www.adorama.com/SLSPM.html

Although I love & use a Gitzo carbon fibre tripod with a $300 ball head & quick release plates it just is not the thing for light or even medium weight backpacking. I use the Velbon tripod & an electronic cable release or self-time to fire the camera w/o vibration. You can also hang a bag of rocks from the underside of the head for more stability.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: looking for a light weight tripod - 09/24/08 09:50 AM

I ebayed a Gitzo CF 0-series tripod and couldn't be happier with it. I fit it with a ballhead size-matched to the camera+lens I'll be carrying.
Posted by: Derek

Re: looking for a light weight tripod - 09/27/08 07:06 AM

Another suggestion from the more economical end of things: the Slik Sprint Pro. It's reasonably compact when folded, extends enough to let a six-footer look through a camera at about eye level, and just meets your weight criterion. I replaced the ball head on mine with another so I could use quick release plates. Here's the tripod at B&H.

There are actually a few other variations, and it comes in multiple finishes if such things are important to you. Here's a link to most of the family at B&H.
Posted by: Raiffnuke

Re: looking for a light weight tripod - 04/27/11 04:05 PM

I use a GorilaPod SLR w/ballhead. This little thing is light/versative/easy to use. It is only about 12" long, so it goes into (or even strapped to the outside) my pack very easily. I wouldn't take my camera anywhere without it.