PackRafting

Posted by: Hey

PackRafting - 06/28/21 07:54 PM

What can you tell me about it? When I was a kid we did a rafting trip on the Chama in New Mexico. We only got off to potty, eat and sleep. I found a place that I would like to hike. However there are some places that need to be swam and paddled! This is very exciting for me! I LOVE the water! I am a river rat! Grew up on the Pecos and the Guadalupe rivers. So I accidentally came across Packrafting. It just showed in my feed on youtube. So I look up the rafts and see that these rafts are like 4lbs!!! So now my mind is blown and I am in research mode! What can you tell me about packrafting and the gear???
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: PackRafting - 06/29/21 03:47 PM

I too think packrafting looks amazing, and I would love to try it. However, the equipment is very expensive, something like $600 minimum for an entry level packraft, the last time I checked. And, that doesn't even account for personal flotation devices (PFDs), paddles, etc. If you like DIY projects, there is a website that sells kits (search diypackraft). Good luck!
Posted by: Hey

Re: PackRafting - 09/08/21 02:51 PM

I have a pfd and paddles, all I really need is the packraft itself. I have seen them for as low as $200. Would I get the lower-priced one? No. I would worry about the quality. Between $300-$700 seems to be the median price for a decent one.
This will be one of my spring day trips. After that I'll try an overnighter.
Posted by: DustinV

Re: PackRafting - 04/05/22 03:41 PM

I'm dipping my toe in the water, so to speak. Not sure I'll go all the way to packrafting whitewater, but I just nabbed an inflatable dinghy on sale and I'll be trying it out in some small lakes and slow streams nearby first, to see if I like it.

Like Hey I already have a paddle and PFD, from a used kayak setup. I can also try out some of the bikepacking bags I nabbed (also on sale) because I want to try that out, too.

If it turns into a more serious relationship, I'll post here.