Summer kayaking

Posted by: Jimshaw

Summer kayaking - 02/28/15 12:41 PM

I went kayaking 30 times last summer. I got real intense and sort of forgot about you guys here. In fact I have been out of doors skiing and stuff so much that I lost interest in writing about it.

We did a lot of river floats sometimes hitting 6 mph without paddling at all. When we went lake camping I took a small canoe to carry the camping gear - its pretty hard to carry your gear and food in a kayak. I now have 3 kayaks and 2 canoes.

We're going cross country skiing today - up the street! We were gonna go winter kayaking - I guess I'm a wimp as I have not kayaked in a snowstorm yet. laugh
Jim
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Summer kayaking - 02/28/15 02:56 PM

Jim! Great to see you back here! Also glad to hear that you have some much needed snow!
Posted by: AdventureMyk

Re: Summer kayaking - 02/28/15 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By Jimshaw
When we went lake camping I took a small canoe to carry the camping gear - its pretty hard to carry your gear and food in a kayak. I now have 3 kayaks and 2 canoes.
Jim

??? I have 5 kayaks and in my two 17footers I can carry easily all my gear and 3+ weeks worth of food in EACH of them... Taking a second along just splits the load and leaves lots of room for extra comforts...???

On the other hand, I love kayak camping as much as backpacking. They take you two different spots and many of the ones around the eastern TN/Western NC are pretty much exclusive. You can't paddle to some great trail camps nor can you hike to some great shore-side camps. smile