Canoe adventures

Posted by: chris2k

Canoe adventures - 09/10/09 08:35 PM

Went on the first canoe trip of the year last month. It was also my first camping/canoeing trip where we had to carry all food, shelter, etc with us.

Now, typically, we love to get half-way into a trip and then start dumping canoes! However, this trip was going to be different, considering all of the gear we were carrying.

So, we start off on the first day of canoeing and all is going well. Some low spots, some tricky bends, nothing major but good fun anyway.

That is until we came to a real nasty turn with a downed tree sitting right in the way. Well, the canoe gets lodged sideways firmly against the tree's root system and water starts rushing over the side. End up tipping the canoe and having to man-handle the canoe around the tree to some slower water.

Of course, it's been over a year since canoeing and I had forgotten the most basic rule of canoeing. Nothing was tied in. So, after making sure my 8 year old nephew is ok, getting the canoe into slower water and flipping it back over, I begin the mad dash to gather up loose gear that is floating happily down stream.

Most all of the gear was recovered (all of the important stuff anyway). Lost a few non-important items (sunglasses, knife, one shoe). Spent a miserable night camping (sleeping gear was all wet).

Overall, it was a good trip. The total distance was 17 miles or so (12 on day 1, 5 on day 2). Would definitely do it again.

Lesson re-learned: Tie everything into the canoe! Been on 2 other trips since. Nothing is unsecured and out of dry bags. Both of the next trips have been much more pleasant!
Posted by: hoz

Re: Canoe adventures - 09/12/09 01:41 PM

Suggested Lesson #2: Learn to do a backwater ferry.