Can anyone tell me what this little part is for?

Posted by: Jackamo

Can anyone tell me what this little part is for? - 12/30/11 08:48 PM

This is kinda off topic as far as bikepacking and touring, and i apologize. We got my wife an older peugeot road bike, and in the process of tuning it up, i took this off the lower frame tube because i dont really know what it is.

since its a french bike, im thinking wine bottle opener? smile

Thanks to anyone who can tell me what this is actually for!
Posted by: Pika

Re: Can anyone tell me what this little part is for? - 12/30/11 09:15 PM

It is one end of a set of tire pump clips. This one looks like the end that the valve connection went into. Most pumps nowadays are designed to fit between the seat post tube and the head set tube. To fit into the various size frames, modern pumps come in different sizes. In the old days, pumps came in one size and fit between clips. Some were brazed on the frame, others were fastened with clamps and screws. What you have is one of the later.
Posted by: oldranger

Re: Can anyone tell me what this little part is for? - 12/30/11 10:59 PM

Agreed. I was looking at your picture and thinking, "It has to do with tire pumps," before reading Pika's more comprehensive statement..
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Can anyone tell me what this little part is for? - 12/31/11 09:14 AM

Looks like an old Silca pump mounting cap....70's-80's maybe?
My newest pump fits in my jersey pocket it's so small! Pumps in the old days fit under the top tube and were fairly long with extension tubes that fit through that hole in your clip.
My 1985 Masi has a Silca pump that fits along the seat tube with no mounting clips which was common then and now.

Re: Can anyone tell me what this little part is for? - 01/01/12 12:37 AM

cool, i guess its not something i really need, maybe someone on ebay can use it.

thanks folks!
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Can anyone tell me what this little part is for? - 01/01/12 01:38 AM

Quote:
maybe someone on ebay can use it

Actually, yes! I've sold MOST of my classic bike parts on ebay for than I paid new, back in the day. And I still have a bunch of parts. grin
Most things were purchased by Europeans who have a different take on classic bicycles than we Americans.

Do you have both clips? Try and itentify the exact pump and go from there.

Re: Can anyone tell me what this little part is for? - 01/01/12 03:35 AM

Originally Posted By Dryer
[quote]Do you have both clips? Try and identify the exact pump and go from there.

unfortunately this was the only piece that wasnt something i recognized (derailleur etc.) so i dont think ive got the other piece. it has "AFA 1" printed on it, now that i know what it is, ive seen a few others online, and some on ebay listed between $4 and $10. ill put it up and probably put the proceeds toward the roll of visqueen i want.
Posted by: Gershon

Re: Can anyone tell me what this little part is for? - 01/03/12 07:29 PM

I have one of those on my Motobecane Grand Jubilee I bought in 1981. The pump is a ZephalHP3. There is no bottom thingy. It fit in the frame of the bike.
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: Can anyone tell me what this little part is for? - 01/06/12 11:14 AM

Wow, that brings back some memories. I sold a bushel or two of those things back in the 70's and 80's when I worked in a bike shop.

In the vernacular of the time it was called an "umbrella clip" due to its shape. An Italian company called Campagnolo originated the design but it was widely cloned. It was usually used to nestle the top end of a frame pump in the "umbrella".

Gershon is right, there was no matching clamp on the other end. The pump head itself was formed to rest directly against the frame, usually just atop the bottom bracket in between the seat tube and down tube. It was sometimes used on the top tube as well. Some Silca frame pumps were designed to rest directly against the frame on both ends and needed no clamp at all.