Backpack Torso Length for Tall Men - Help!

Posted by: DougP

Backpack Torso Length for Tall Men - Help! - 06/18/08 04:28 PM

I am 6'3" and my son is 6'4". Our torso lengths are 24" and 25", respectively. I have not been able to locate an external frame pack for any thing greater than a 23" torso. Who makes backpacks long enough for tall men? How critical is the torso lenth fit, as far as an inch or 2?

In case you are wondering why an external frame, we will be hiking on established trails in the western U.S. and I want the air flow around my back.

Thanks for any advice.
Posted by: bryanonfilm

Re: Backpack Torso Length for Tall Men - Help! - 06/18/08 04:49 PM

I can't speak on behalf of other companies, but I had my Osprey Atmos 50's shoulder straps extended to fit my long 23'' torso. Now the weight sits perfectly on my hips. You also might want to take a look at McHale's packs. I've heard almost nothing but good things. http://www.mchalepacks.com/ultralight/
Posted by: Tango61

Re: Backpack Torso Length for Tall Men - Help! - 06/18/08 08:03 PM

I believe he is looking for external frame.

If that is the case, look at the Cabellas Alaskan model. It's not light weight but it might fit the bill.
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Backpack Torso Length for Tall Men - Help! - 06/18/08 08:29 PM

I think he's looking for external frame because of the air circulation. I have a friend who has an Atmos series pack (35 or 50, I forget which) and he says he really likes how the pack's design lets the air get to his back - said it reminded him a lot of how the external frame packs he used "way back when" stood away from his back.

Before irrevocably committing to an external frame, the original poster might want to look at the Osprey Atmos line. If he's at all partial to internal frame packs, they might just combine the best of both worlds.
Posted by: bryanonfilm

Re: Backpack Torso Length for Tall Men - Help! - 06/19/08 06:15 AM

Sorry, forgot to mention that I recommended the Atmos due to its Airscape design. It's ventilated to let air flow around your back, so you'd just have the frame stays against you, much like a hybrid external/internal.
Posted by: Tango61

Re: Backpack Torso Length for Tall Men - Help! - 06/19/08 07:57 PM

Yep. I have the Osprey Aether 70 and I like its Airscape design. It's the closest thing I've carried to an external frame.

Tango
Posted by: BarryP

Re: Backpack Torso Length for Tall Men - Help! - 06/20/08 08:49 AM

“Our torso lengths are 24" and 25", respectively.”

Since you want external frame, this guy advertises “• The frame telescopes 9 inches to automatically fit any torso length. Compresses to airline carry-on legal 20x14x8.” http://www.luxurylite.com/packindex.html I think it’s the lightest external frame out there.

However, there are plenty of other lightweight packs out there (<2lbs) and <$150 that fit comfortably howbeit, they are internal frame. The Gossamer Gear packs (24” torso) http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Miniposa.html lets you use convoluted foam for the back (and framework) which helps in promoting airflow.

The heavier the pack and load, the more you’re going to sweat. So by lightening the load and getting a smaller volume pack --- minimizes the back sweat marks.

Good luck in your pack choice!

-Barry