Alcohol stoves stored in pots, in baggies?

Posted by: Cesar

Alcohol stoves stored in pots, in baggies? - 01/21/08 09:25 PM

I was just wondering if you store your alcohol stove in your pot(s) do you have them in some type of baggy ie ziplock sandwich bags or something.
Should I be worried about getting alcohol residue on my pot then boiled and drank when I make my tea or boil water for my freezer bag meal?

Thanks
Posted by: NiytOwl

Re: Alcohol stoves stored in pots, in baggies? - 01/21/08 10:09 PM

As long as you use a good grade of alcohol you don't have to worry about residue - there should be none. Can't say the same about gasoline or lighter fluid.
Posted by: phat

Re: Alcohol stoves stored in pots, in baggies? - 01/21/08 10:09 PM

Mine's just typically stored in my pot, inside a plastic cup - I don't worry about any residue - my stove burns to empty and I don't leave alcohol in it.

Re: Alcohol stoves stored in pots, in baggies? - 01/22/08 07:20 AM

Is the yellow bottle of heet good grade alcohol?

Thanks for the responses.
Posted by: NiytOwl

Re: Alcohol stoves stored in pots, in baggies? - 01/22/08 08:46 AM

When I first played with alcohol stoves, Heet is what I used. It's almost pure methanol, so it's good fuel - just doesn't provide as many BTUs per gram as ethanol (denatured alcohol). The only other thing in Heet is a tiny amount of water.

I now use denatured alcohol, available wherever paint is sold. It's cheaper than Heet and gives you more bang per gram. Denatured alcohol is usually ethanol (moonshine) with a bit of methanol added so you'll go blind if you drink it, but it leaves no residue after it rapidly evaporates.

Re: Alcohol stoves stored in pots, in baggies? - 01/22/08 08:57 AM

Quote:
you'll go blind if you drink it, but it leaves no residue after it rapidly evaporates.

ugh not good. A baggy doesn't weigh much : )
Posted by: BarryP

Re: Alcohol stoves stored in pots, in baggies? - 01/22/08 01:50 PM

My stove is stored in the pot. I do have a baggy in the pot. But the only thing in the baggy is my paper matches.

-Barry
Posted by: phat

Re: Alcohol stoves stored in pots, in baggies? - 01/22/08 03:49 PM

Quote:

ugh not good. A baggy doesn't weigh much : )

I understand your fear, but you probably get more methanol into you through your skin pouring it into
the stove and from the fumes before lighting it, than you will from a stove that has been allowed to burn
completely out. or waving your pot for 10 seconds in the wind.

Re: Alcohol stoves stored in pots, in baggies? - 01/22/08 03:54 PM

I guess I'm just a little paranoid since cancer runs in the family I wouldn't want to give it a reason so show up already.
Posted by: totempole99

Re: Alcohol stoves stored in pots, in baggies? - 01/27/08 08:11 PM

I store mine in my mesh dishrag. I use the (red) mesh bag that apples are sold in to put my stove and primer pan in when the pot is in my pack. And scrunch the mesh up after dinner to clean my pot.