How do I pack my external frame?

Posted by: Rucksack

How do I pack my external frame? - 01/09/08 03:51 PM

I have a Kelty 3950. Where and how do I attach the sleeping bag, tent, and sleeping pad? Im a newbie so any info would help. A pic of a fully loaded external frame pack would be awesome.
Posted by: Cesar

Re: How do I pack my external frame? - 01/10/08 08:25 PM

This is a good website to read when starting out.
the backpacker website
Ive read it a few times : ) Im a newbie as well so still learning a lot. But the article on packing a pack has info for external frames as well in internal.
Sorry I couldn't help anymore but I'm sure someone else will post.
Posted by: TomD

Re: How do I pack my external frame? - 01/10/08 10:40 PM

Yaonkie- I found a picture of this pack on the Kelty site and saw similar pics on a couple of other sites too, but none with it loaded up. You may find some pics on the net if you do some looking.

This pack has a sleeping bag compartment-the lower compartment with what looks like a horizontal zipper. Stuff your bag in there, if it fits. A really big synthetic bag may not fit, but give it a try. If it doesn't, you may have to strap the bag under the main compartment where your tent would go.

As far as a tent and pad, look for straps along the sides of the pack and see if those will hold your pad on either side. Kelty says the tent can be strapped under the bag compartment, but if your sleeping bag is there, then you may have to lash the tent to the side of the pack. For the pad, if the straps aren't long enough, get accessory straps from a camping store and see if the lash loops on the back will work; otherwise lash the pad to one of the frame uprights.

Cesar, I replaced the link in your post. The one you posted didn't work.

To post a link-copy the link from the original website; go to URL in the box below, open that link, paste in the URL, then type in a short name in the second box that appears.
Posted by: Cesar

Re: How do I pack my external frame? - 01/11/08 07:17 AM

Sorry about that. THanks.
click on the beginners link on the right side.
second attempt to post a link : )
click here