Chinese sleeping bags

Posted by: EMT Dave

Chinese sleeping bags - 12/02/17 07:26 PM

I have been looking for a new sleeping bag. I need/want a lighter 3 season bag, ideally with down or a down/synthetic hybrid. I have been seeing bags on eBay that are mostly duck down. I have my doubts about the temperature ratings on some of them and the fixed/non-adjustable hood does not thrill me. I have noted that while the reviews are often positive, many note that the bags are heavier than high end models.
Does anyone here have any experience with them at all?
Thanks.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Chinese sleeping bags - 12/03/17 12:13 PM

No experience with these. My experience is that backpacking gear is still a pretty honest game, and you get what you pay for. Generally, the rule is: Light, cheap, quality - pick two. My guess is that the Chinese duck down bags fit the light/cheap category, and quality (accurate rating, down quality, etc.) is not a consideration. You need to read reviews carefully, too. I’ve seen huge numbers of reviews that give a product 5 stars and begin “I haven’t actually used this bag/stove/pack yet, but I’m excited to try it out...” or “Ive never backpacked before, and will use this on my first trip. It looks awesome.” There’s really no need to read further in such reviews; there’s no way the rating can be accurate when the buyer has not actually used it, and has no experience against which to rate the build quality.

Go with a known, quality manufacturer; you’ll never regret it.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Chinese sleeping bags - 12/05/17 11:31 AM

I've never bought one, but I have read reviews on backpacking sights from knowledgeable people. I think you can get a heck of a deal but the quality will be low and it will be designed by someone who does not have experience backpacking. The biggest complaints are they don't meet the rated temperature (expected) and they tend to be built for an average Chinese sized person. They can be a really tight fit for the average American sized person. If you are shorter with a slighter build they could work for you. The last complaint I hear is they tend to include extra stuff that isn't necessary. They also probably won't be differentially stuffed. They will have the same amount of down under you as on top, which will make them heavy for the actual temperature rating.

I wouldn't be turned off by duck down. Enlightened Equipment does some amazing stuff with duck down.
Posted by: EMT Dave

Re: Chinese sleeping bags - 12/05/17 08:05 PM

Thank you all.
Your comments mirror concerns I had: the size of the bag being small by US standards and expectedly a grossly inflated view of the insulation. I am also concerned about things like even (and adequate) fill and quality of construction.
I now have eliminated any thought of Chinese bags.
Anyone have experience with the Kelty Cosmic 20? They have overwhelmingly good reviews although a vocal minority have found cold spots and such issues. Seems like a good deal for $112. I expect their temperature rating to be a tad exaggerated, but when is that not the case?