Osprey or REI Backpack

Posted by: DanielShunn

Osprey or REI Backpack - 10/29/17 09:40 PM

Searching around but a newbie so what do you all like better?
Both feel pretty good.
Thanks
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Osprey or REI Backpack - 10/29/17 11:58 PM

Backpack fit is almost as individual as shoe fit. I therefore would never recommend a backpack brand/model for someone else, any more than I would recommend a make of shoe.

Just as an example, while lots of folks love Osprey packs, their hipbelts and my hips do not get along--every Osprey pack I've tried causes pain.

Most important: The pack must fit your body, fit the load you're putting inside, and be comfortable for you with your gear inside (which should include the equivalent in weight and bulk of a week's food and a day's water). In other words, take your gear with you when trying on packs. Sandbags and weights are just not the same.
Posted by: toddfw2003

Re: Osprey or REI Backpack - 10/30/17 01:23 AM

I have both. I haave REI Flash 62. Its a nice pack. I havent used it in white. My only problem with the flash is the metal frame pops out if the pack is empty. My friends use it now when I take the backpacking. I also have an Osprey Exo 38. They make it in the 48 and 58 liter packs. Same suspension. I absolutely love it. Its the most comfortable pack i have ever worn. I tried on the Atmos and hated it. It wasnt comfortable at all. Take all your gear to REI and try on packs with your gear in it. Dont do the weighted bean bags. The weight isnt distributed correctly with those. Be sure to choose a pack for the amount of weight it can handle. The exo is an awesome pack but if you arent ultralight you will not like it
Posted by: HPD

Re: Osprey or REI Backpack - 11/03/17 10:40 AM

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Backpack fit is almost as individual as shoe fit. I therefore would never recommend a backpack brand/model for someone else, any more than I would recommend a make of shoe.

Just as an example, while lots of folks love Osprey packs, their hipbelts and my hips do not get along--every Osprey pack I've tried causes pain.

Most important: The pack must fit your body, fit the load you're putting inside, and be comfortable for you with your gear inside (which should include the equivalent in weight and bulk of a week's food and a day's water). In other words, take your gear with you when trying on packs. Sandbags and weights are just not the same.

Agree 100%! Try on as many as you can. Load em up and walk around the shop. Some will just not feel right while others may feel more comfy. If you're lucky, one of them will feel better than the rest-That's the one to get!
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Osprey or REI Backpack - 11/08/17 08:48 PM

I've beat up an Osprey I was given pretty good for a few years now and I've mostly done cold weather bushwhacking in thick forests with it loaded tight, so I'll vouch for the durability.

It's not what I'd call "comfortable", but it wasn't fitted for me and I don't generally do a lot of miles so it's not been a problem for me.

Aside from that, what OM said...
Posted by: Adventurejus

Re: Osprey or REI Backpack - 11/12/17 06:54 PM

Both are excellent brands and have quality products. Buy what fits and feels the best to you. No one but yourself can help you in that department. If you're buying from an REI store the good thing is you can still return a product after backpacking with it if you find a problem with it.