Buying safety footwear?

Posted by: Anonymous

Buying safety footwear? - 06/12/17 11:24 PM

Hi there,

Has anyone purchased safety footwear online?
Me and my girlfriend are planning a trekking trip. We have been planning this trip for months. We wanted to do something adventurous this time. We are super excited about our trekking trip.

But we have to get the safety footwear and equipment. Since I have been on a trekking trip before, I have shoes. But she doesn’t have such shoes as it is a first time for her. So I am thinking of getting safety shoes for her. I am going to surprise her. I checked in some of the shops here, but nothing seemed to be of good quality.

So I am thinking of buying ladies safety footwear online. But I have really no idea what are the best types of safety footwear for ladies? Will I get a good choice in online sites? Please help me choose a good one for her.
Thanks.
Posted by: JustWalking

Re: Buying safety footwear? - 06/13/17 12:44 AM

Not sure what you mean by 'safety' footwear.

Where are you planning on trekking? How long will the trip be? Etc. Is your girlfriend in shape/does she hike a lot, etc.

Give us a bit more info.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Buying safety footwear? - 06/13/17 05:12 PM

Why is "safety" footwear necessary? I switched from boots to trail runners 9 years ago, and have never worn boots since.

if you are climbing rather than hiking, you may need specialized footwear, but that is not industrial "safety" footwear.

Another word of warning--shoe fit is an extremely individual matter--everyone's feet are different and shoe sizes/lasts are not standard. "Surprising" someone with a gift of shoes is the worst possible thing you can do. It guarantees that she'll have very painful feet--and blame you for it! (I would!) If you want to do this as a gift, please give her the money or a gift certificate and let her purchase her own!
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Buying safety footwear? - 06/13/17 09:54 PM

Or surprise her with a nice lunch and a shoe shopping trip on a Saturday afternoon.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Buying safety footwear? - 06/22/17 06:28 AM

Hi guys,
Thanks for those wonderful ideas.
How about getting her this shoes, [edited out link to steel toed shoes] Is it a good choice? Please help me out.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Buying safety footwear? - 06/22/17 11:48 AM

Steel toed shoes for hiking???

That's a new one for me. I never even wore those when I did metal fabrication.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Buying safety footwear? - 06/22/17 11:51 AM

No way could you persuade me to put my feet into something like that! I'd still like to know why in the world you would want industrial safety shoes for hiking!
Posted by: wgiles

Re: Buying safety footwear? - 06/22/17 07:18 PM

Oddly enough, the most comfortable boots that I have worn were steel toe work boots with internal metatarsal arch guards. When I was working, I wore them ten hours a day 5 or 6 days a week with no discomfort. I still wear them nowadays when I feel like I need the protection. They were also Gore-Tex lined and very comfortable in wet, muddy conditions. The main reason that I don't wear them hiking is the weight.