I've Never Camped Before; Doing So in Greenland

Posted by: stevegiovinc

I've Never Camped Before; Doing So in Greenland - 07/02/16 04:53 PM

I'll be traveling in mid-August and plan on camping for maybe a few weeks; the other two weeks will be in hotels/hostels.

The only challenge is: I've never camped at all. Is this is big problem? What do I need to be aware of?

I'm planning to stay near (not on!) glaciers near Narsarsurq in southern Greenland, which are about three or four miles out of town.

I’ve reached out to the Danish Consulate (thank you–they were so helpful!); Greenland.com, a great tourist resource and web site; the local expedition and outfitter, Blue Ice; and a few others, to gather as much information as I can on the conditions, weather, local animal population (no polar bears but maybe arctic foxes?), cell reception (none outside Narsarsuaq), mosquitoes and the like.

Below is a link to equipment (it's also to a blog, listing some of the same questions mentioned above).
List

I guess the main question might be regarding the tent--which I've never set up before--but there are plenty others too.

1. I've love to get internet connectivity for safety and for my photo project but it's available only through very expensive satellite phone. Is this crucial?
2. Also, I'm thinking of GPS mapping app--recommendations?
3. Anything else to do or buy--again, since I've never done this before?
Posted by: bluefish

Re: I've Never Camped Before; Doing So in Greenland - 07/02/16 05:56 PM

Why not do a preliminary trip to Harriman/ Bear Mt. State Park? You can take the train to Tuxedo if you live without a vehicle. Best done during the week this time of year, but a dry run with your gear would be the best way to learn what you need to. Your gear list contains many items I use myself. If you want to do that, I can make some suggestions of trails and shelter areas. It helps to know how to get your Whisperlite going (hard to do in an apartment) , set up the tent, since it requires trekking poles, and whether you like your pad and if the pack fits well, or is adjusted properly. The Thermarest pads are easy to adjust for comfort, as are the Aeros pillows. The pad I lay on and open the valve slightly until I reach my level of comfort. The pillow I blow up all the way to prop my neck up to read, then let a little out to sleep. Atmos are good packs (I have the 50) and have a wide range of adjustment, but they need to fit. Another handy item can be a light head net. They can be a godsend when miniature Draculas are about.The trip your taking and what your doing is extremely interesting to me and I hope I can follow your blog or read reports here. Best of luck, and I'd be glad to answer any specific questions if I can. I did notice a few items missing from your list- Cookset- I'd recommend a GSI Soloist. Headlamp, Petzls and Black Diamond are both good in my experience. A First Aid Kit. You can get ready made ones from REI and tailor them to suit your particular needs. A micro fiber towel is great for wet tents and personal hygiene. A Sawyer mini-filter if you do have to use one. If your campsite is primitive and no outhouse- a trowel for waste.