Where do i start when interested in 1 month+ trips

Posted by: nadia

Where do i start when interested in 1 month+ trips - 01/29/16 02:51 PM

Hello all ,

I am new to this board and would love if anyone could help guide me .

does anyone know where to start if i am looking for a hiking trip thats a month long or longer?

i live in miami , fl so i know i would need to travel but when i do my own research online i only find the toured trips that are 10 days long at most. I basically want to take a long vacation while being active and seeing new parts of the world.

also does anyone find a hiking partner or group to go with from the internet?
Posted by: BZH

Re: Where do i start when interested in 1 month+ trips - 01/29/16 05:06 PM

It is not clear to me what kind of backpacking trip you are looking for. The traditionally American definition is wilderness hiking while carrying everything with you to stay more than one day. The traditionally European definition is cheap travel. If you are looking for the former... that's us. If you are looking for the later... that's not us.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Where do i start when interested in 1 month+ trips - 01/29/16 05:58 PM

If you are looking for a guided trek of a month or longer, then there might be such commercial treks organized for travel in Nepal, New Zealand, or in the Andes. I do not know of any such hikes to recommend, but I would start there.

Here in the USA I do not think such guided month-long treks exist in a form where you could just sign up, pay and go. There are USA outfitters who will offer guided hikes, in the Sierras for example, but probably not for a whole month. As commercial enterprises, they will be advertising on the internet.

If you are wanting to organize your own month long wilderness trek in the USA, then you will need to do a large amount of planning. The most common such long hikes take place on the Appalachian Trail (AT) or the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT).

You would be required to provide your own gear, food and transport, but several thousand people successfully complete such long self-organized hikes each year and there is a lot of information on the internet about how to plan and execute such a hike.
Posted by: dylansdad77

Re: Where do i start when interested in 1 month+ trips - 01/31/16 04:25 PM

While not a month long trek, I've seen advertisements at REI for a 17-day out and back to Mt. Everest basecamp. If you include a conservative 2 days flying there and another 2 back, add in a couple days in Katmandu on either end of the trip to explore and you have yourself a month long trip.

Check out their website for more info. I only ask that you share pics/vids of your trip as this has been a bucket list item for me for years now.