My First Hike with Trekking Poles -- NICE!

Posted by: Aragon

My First Hike with Trekking Poles -- NICE! - 09/29/15 11:01 PM

I hiked to the top of a local hill today. Short hike -- about 2.5 miles total, moderate to strenuous.

What a difference my trekking poles made! I moved so darned fast, strong and sure. Plus I felt no load on my knees in the really steep parts. I enjoyed the light upper body workout as well.

Best $11.00 I ever spent in hiking!

I think I will look into some nordic walking poles now...
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: My First Hike with Trekking Poles -- NICE! - 09/29/15 11:29 PM

I use my trekking poles as nordic walking poles (pretty much the same thing). All that is needed is the rubber caps to protect the points from paved surfaces (and vice versa). No need for a separate set of poles!
Posted by: Aragon

Re: My First Hike with Trekking Poles -- NICE! - 09/30/15 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
I use my trekking poles as nordic walking poles (pretty much the same thing). All that is needed is the rubber caps to protect the points from paved surfaces (and vice versa). No need for a separate set of poles!

I am inclined to agree. The only sellers I can find of "nordic walking poles" is Leki and some hard-sell firm (that harps about the dangers of adjustable poles) that I have never heard of.

I've seen the special feet for sale. It doesn't seem like the "special" straps/grips amount to much of a difference.
Posted by: Zuuk

Re: My First Hike with Trekking Poles -- NICE! - 10/05/15 08:56 AM

I purchased a set of trekking poles this weekend, and will use them as soon as I get a chance. I always used a simple walking stick before, which I found helped, but sometimes the tip would be slippy. The ones I found aren't bad; expandable, cork grip, removable sand/snow disc, and a removable rubber foot. Was only $16 each, so around $12 US.

The one thing I notice around here is that people walking (not hiking) always seem to use 2 poles. I've only ever used 1, but I did buy 2. Are 2 pole hikers more common that 1 polers?
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: My First Hike with Trekking Poles -- NICE! - 10/05/15 04:03 PM

I can only comment on my own experience. I used a single walking stick for years, but then got a pair on the advice of my daughter. Using the pair was an infinite improvement for me for balance, rhythm, and surer footing over rough spots. Your Mileage, of course, May Vary!

If you cross-country ski, try skiing with a single pole instead of two, and you'll see what I mean. Of course it's a bit early in the year to try that out yet! laugh
Posted by: Outcasthiker

Re: My First Hike with Trekking Poles -- NICE! - 11/17/15 03:08 PM

Keeps me from falling as much as I used to as well.