Osprey tempest?

Posted by: alph2294

Osprey tempest? - 08/19/15 04:04 PM

I am looking at the Osprey tempest 40. Anyone have experience with this pack? Am wondering what weight would be reasonable to carry with it.

Are Osprey packs worth it? Pros and cons?
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Osprey tempest? - 08/19/15 05:08 PM

They are generally well-made packs. I think most veterans here would recommend that you buy the pack that fits--that's the key element. There are lots of packs that work, but only if you are really comfortable wearing them.

A forty liter pack will be able to carry just about anything you can fit into it--because 40 liters is pretty small. By the time you get a sleeping bag and a tent in there, you won't have room for a lot of heavy stuff. I'd think 30 pounds is a lot for this pack, but it would be hard to get 30 pounds INTO it, unless you are carrying bricks.
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Osprey tempest? - 08/19/15 06:13 PM

If you are backpacking in the Sierra you will likely have to also carry a bear canister. A 40L pack is quite small and most likely will not accommodate a bear can. Depends on how many days- there are small bear cans designed for 2-3 day trips. But if going a week or more, it would be tight.

If you try the pack on at a store, see if they have a bear can so you can see if it fits.

The only way you will really know is to buy the pack and then fill it at home and carry it around the house a for a few days to see how it feels. If it is not right, send/take it back. Definitely do not buy a non-returnable item and be sure to leave on all the tags until you decide to keep it.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Osprey tempest? - 08/19/15 10:52 PM

The manufacturer's website will have the maximum recommended weight for each pack model (subtract 5 lbs. for comfort; usually the maximum is a bit overstated).

It's highly recommended that you acquire all or most of your other gear before buying your pack. The pack has to fit you, fit your gear and be comfortable for you hiking with your gear inside. Not everyone is comfortable in an Osprey pack (my hips and their hip belts are definitely incompatible). Pack fit is nearly as individual as shoe fit.

Please note W_D's comments on the bear canister, required in much of California (and in some places elsewhere). I have managed to get a bear canister (Bearikade Weekender) into my 40L pack, but it's a very tight fit, and the rest of my gear is really compact. That's the only time I've had to use the extension collar, so with the canister the pack capacity used was more like 50L. I also had to squeeze more items into the outside pockets than I wanted to.

Check out the articles on the home page of this site, left hand column for more info on slecting a pack.

Posted by: alph2294

Re: Osprey tempest? - 08/20/15 01:02 PM

Many thanks for the comments about the bear canister. Given that, maybe it would it be better to look at larger packs...
I have been reading Ultralight Backpacker by Ryel Kestenbaum and he uses a 2,400 c.i. pack but maybe doesn't carry a bear canister.

Are bear canisters required anywhere on the PCT in Oregon? That is a section I am considering to start.