An old newbie starting at 66 yrs young

Posted by: geo1

An old newbie starting at 66 yrs young - 01/22/15 08:02 PM

Wow,modern tech,so glad I found this place. Trying to get started hiking and backpacking. So far have found so much info its overwhelming. Until I got here,I will jst say thanks to all for sharing. This site is the best. So fa haven't bought anything just looking and reading,trying to educate myself some. don't know enough right now to ask a dumb question,but you will be hearing from me,geo1
Posted by: aimless

Re: An old newbie starting at 66 yrs young - 01/22/15 08:17 PM

Welcome!

When you do start asking questions, it will help us answer them if we know roughly where in this great wide world you will be doing your hiking. It also helps to know if you've done much (or any) hiking and camping in the past.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: An old newbie starting at 66 yrs young - 01/22/15 08:19 PM

If you haven't yet found the articles on the home page of this site, left hand column, they're worth a look.

There's another thread going on right now in this section about a 49-year-old getting "back in the game." Several of us have posted ideas there that would fit you, too.

And, as noted, you're a mere spring chicken compared to some of us!

BTW, the only "dumb question" is the one you don't ask!
Posted by: packlite

Re: An old newbie starting at 66 yrs young - 01/23/15 12:15 PM

welcome

Welcome, geo1. Good to see you are 66 yrs "young". I am 68 years of age and despite all the aches and pains that goes along with it, I'm still logging 2 1/2 miles almost every day, either in town or out of town. It's a worthwhile investment for a healthy future.

Charles
Posted by: geo1

Re: An old newbie starting at 66 yrs young - 01/23/15 09:16 PM

Thx,for the feedback. Love this site,still looking around right now,working on getting in better shape. So much info available today...wow. Age is only a state of mind,some states worst than others,