Newbie in Central NC

Posted by: MDK88

Newbie in Central NC - 11/15/14 11:50 AM

Hello,
I have done a decent amount of car camping growing up but I have graduated college, have a full time job and do not yet have a family so I want to branch out and start doing some serious backpacking/camping while I am young and have the time.
I am new to this and am trying to glean as much knowledge as I can on this forum.
To start with, I am looking for good places in NC to do overnight backpacking trips. It seems most places require you to camp in designated "camping areas". I want to hike out and set up camp wherever I want and just enjoy nature without it being regulated. There seem to be very few places in NC to do this.
Any advice for starting out and where to go for beginner overnight backpacking trips is greatly appreciated! Thank you very much!
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Newbie in Central NC - 11/29/14 02:55 PM

Western Carolina is full of places to hike! Anywhere around Nantahala and Pisgah doesn't have designated backcountry campsites but they encourage you to use existing sites (they're not marked but you can tell it's a campsite) to minimized impact. Basically don't cut down ton of a trees just for one night of camping. I would carry a small diameter rope to hang your food (youtube has ton of videos on how to do this), because i wouldn't store food in your tent due to animals. I would try out all of your gears car camping or in your backyard in conditions similar to what you encounter in the backcountry, so you be more familiar with it them and sense how they work. Speaking of conditions in the backcountry, the temperature is colder in the backcountry due to elevation and lack of sunlight than it is in the city and the valley. cool An extra insulation might be ideal until you learn what keeps you warm and what is an overkill. Also, you may want leave a detailed itinerary with a responsible person in case you get hurt and don't check in (it also help that you stick with this plan smile ) . It never hurts to do a ton of research and key an eye on road conditions and the weather leading up to wee hours in the morning before leaving to the trailhead.

Welcome aboard, and don't be afraid to ask specifics.
Posted by: topshot

Re: Newbie in Central NC - 11/29/14 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By ETSU Pride
Basically don't cut down ton of a trees just for one night of camping. I would carry a small diameter rope to hang your food (youtube has ton of videos on how to do this), because i wouldn't store food in your tent due to animals.

I'll be a stickler and say don't cut down ANY trees or branches from live ones and you MUST hang your food properly in western NC to keep it away from bears.