Survival gear on planes

Posted by: time away

Survival gear on planes - 06/07/14 09:34 PM

Now that I have my survival pack ready, I dont think it can all go in my checked luggage. Can you pack char cloth, flint, magnesium, lint, or iodine?
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Survival gear on planes - 06/09/14 10:22 AM

probably...but I would ditch the iodine. Of course, I would also ditch the char cloth, lint and flint.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Survival gear on planes - 06/09/14 03:41 PM

I agree. I developed a severe allergy to iodine after using it to disinfect water for just 4 weekends. It caused a deep-seated rash (lichen planus) that left permanent scars. I still cannot eat anything made with iodized salt or any seafood. For emergency water disinfection, I strongly recommend some form of chlorine dioxide (such as Katadyn or Aqua Mira tablets) instead. Believe me, you don't want to risk what I went through!

The flint and char cloth are totally unnecessary. Besides, in a true emergency--most likely a situation where hypothermia is imminent--you'll have a really hard time using them when you're shivering, your hands are numb and all the wood is sopping wet. I take a mini-Bic lighter, a paper match book, and, as a third backup, about a dozen of the REI emergency matches (they stay lit for a long time and, IMHO, are the best thing REI has ever come up with), and half an Esbit tablet. There's an excellent reason that our ancestors with their wood or coal fireplaces and stoves abandoned flint and steel as soon as matches became available!

What you can't carry on the plane, even in checked luggage, is fuel. Sharp points (knives, trekking poles) and liquids also need to go in checked luggage.

Re: Survival gear on planes - 06/09/14 05:17 PM

Helpful, thanks.

Re: Survival gear on planes - 06/09/14 05:21 PM

I plan on buying adjustable lighters when I get there. I dont expect I can pack them either. We enjoy sur ival skills and keep oursel es open to as many choices as we can, including flint, etc. I will take into co sideration the iodine issue you had. Thanks for sharing that info.

Re: Survival gear on planes - 06/09/14 05:23 PM

I dont think I can take waterproof matches in my luggage either. Have to pick them up when I arrive?
Posted by: BZH

Re: Survival gear on planes - 06/09/14 06:39 PM

You can pack a lighter or a book of matches in a carryon:

http://safetravel.dot.gov/index_lighters.html

The only exception is "strike anywhere" matches which I haven't been able to find for sale in a long time.

... and I agree with advice above leave the rest behind and just bring a lighter.
Posted by: phat

Re: Survival gear on planes - 06/09/14 11:32 PM

You can pack a lighter on the plane. I do all the time.

And in a survival situation, two bic mini-lighters beats flint and char cloth any day.

Don't get me wrong, it's *FUN* to play wiht char cloth and flint and old school, I like doing it, But far from the right choice
for "survival gear".
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Survival gear on planes - 06/11/14 09:48 AM

Looks like OM did a good job on explaining why iodine is not a great option.

I should probably also explain why I would ditch the char cloth, lint and flint. There is a difference between a "survival" kit, and a bushcraft/ re-enactment kit. A bushcraft kit is designed to help you practice primitive skills. You test yourself and have fun doing it. A survival kit is designed to keep you alive. You want your survival kit to be the highest tech it can be, and you want it to give you the highest chance of success. Char cloth is great at catching an ember, but there are better options out there that do a better job, aren't as fragile, and burn hotter. Lint is also good as tinder, but it won't work if it has synthetic fibers in it. And, you won't know that unless you try to burn it. Cotton balls do the same thing....but they give you the 100% guarantee that they are 100% cotton. If you add an excellerant to the cotton balls, then you have a better chance at fire. Flint and steel is not the easiest way to start a fire. A ferrocerium rod is much easier, and lighter.

So, really the difference is that you said this is a survival kit. Most bushcrafters I know say you are a fool to not carry a bic lighter. In my fire kit, I take a lighter, a waterproof container of storm matches (UCO or REI brand), and a ferro rod. I also have 2 pieces of wetfire, and a bunch of cotton balls with a small container of vaseline. Sometimes I carry a magnifying glass. I try to use the ferro rod or magnifying glass first. This is for fun and practice. The matches and lighter are for when I REALLY need fire. You can also buy small road flares. That is probably the best option.