Clarification, please!

Posted by: ZachBilous

Clarification, please! - 03/04/14 01:35 PM

Ok, so I'm having some difficulties understanding the so-called advertised weights of tents. Let me be clear, I understand what trail weight and minimum weight are; however, packed weight is what is baffling me.

I'm looking at tents that specifically include the footprint. For example: a tents packed weight is 4lbs, say, but it also comes with a footprint. Is the footprint an additional weight on top of the tents packed weight or is it included in the tents packed weight?
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Clarification, please! - 03/04/14 01:40 PM

This is probably a variable that differs among both manufacturers and retailers. If in doubt I'd contact them both.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Clarification, please! - 03/04/14 01:56 PM

As I have seen "packaged weight" used in the past, it refers to the weight of everything you get, apart from packaging. So, if you get a repair kit and extra stakes, for example, those would show up in the packaged weight. If you get a footprint included with the tent, I would expect that to show up in the "packaged weight".

This has been my experience, but it doesn't mean I am correct in this instance. Asking is the most reliable way to find out. (Unless you ask someone who doesn't know what they are talking about!)
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Clarification, please! - 03/04/14 02:11 PM

I personally think this is a conspiracy on the part of mainstream tent makers to make their tents appear lighter than they are. laugh It seems that every one has a slightly different definition.

Most "cottage" manufacturers, such as Tarptent and ZPacks, are at pains to disclose the actual weight of the tent, not just a total but the components, including stuff sacks, stakes, etc. That's one of the many reasons I prefer to buy from them.

IMHO, a footprint is not necessary; it's just a marketing gimmick. I haven't used one for years, and for the past 9 years my tent had a lightweight silnylon floor. (I never used one with my old 1980's tent, either.) Never any problem, even with a fairly large dog in residence.
Posted by: ZachBilous

Re: Clarification, please! - 03/04/14 03:21 PM

Thanks, Aimless. What you're saying parallels what I think, too.
I've just been looking at tent w/ footprint combos, so the thought suspiciously crossed thy mind!

Cheers
Posted by: BrianLe

Re: Clarification, please! - 03/05/14 11:17 AM

I agree with everything OM said.

A tent that has a custom footprint --- not on my list of things I'm interested in. Advertised as having a "fastpack" setup --- ditto. In fact "advertised at all" --- ditto.

I very infrequently go into my local REI and in recent years they've improved in some areas w.r.t. what I'm interested in. They now carry a credible light backpack, for example.

But tents, I still don't see any tents that I'd be interested in. I think that most folks carry a tent that's heavier than they need.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Clarification, please! - 03/05/14 02:18 PM

Quote:
I think that most folks carry a tent that's heavier than they need.

I've been learning that, though it's taken a long time, so it's good to hear you confirm that knowing you've spent so many nights out.

This autumn I think I'll leave the tent at home more often and just sleep under the stars. I used to do that a lot when I camped in the Sequoia NF.